Install Windows XP as dual boot on Windows 10

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 10 preinstalled. I have hardware that requires Windows XP drivers.  I have been reading different ways to install Windows XP as dual boot, but all methods point to either Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or earlier.  Would someone mind explaining to a newbie exactly how to install XP Pro 64 bit onto an already partitioned and formatted drive on my Windows 10 machine.  I would like to select with operating system to boot during startup.

Thank you in advance for being patient, polite and helpful.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today.

I would suggest you to refer to the below suggestion provided by the Andre de costa.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-10-preview/9e9b6066-d99b-4d2f-84dc-38e646c3c6ae

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dual-booting is a highly technical configuration. If you make a mistake, you can make your computer un-bootable. If you're honest enough to admit you're a newbie, don't try to dual-boot?

How do you know that Windows XP has drivers that will support the hardware in your new computer?

If you want to run Windows XP - and you have a valid license to install Windows XP - a safer option is to run it in a virtual machine. Setting up a virtual machine is also very technical, but if you make a mistake with it you will not harm your computer.

Keep in mind that Windows XP has not received updates in years and is thus vulnerable to attack.

29 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Bulldog.

I've read that virtual machine will not work with hardware that is dependent on the XP drivers. 

I do have a valid XP copy and license.  

I do understand the risk and will not be connected to the Internet while running XP. 

What I'm finding in my research is mostly folks wanting to either install 10 on a machine with XP, or upgraded XP to 10. I'm pretty much wanting to go backwards. 

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

maarcuswantstoknow,

I too want to dual boot XP on my Windows 10 machine. Difference is that my laptop came with Windows 8 and was recently upgraded to Windows 10. I have found that I can start the process by holding f9 when starting Windows 10 which gives me a boot option menu to boot from usb or cd. The process runs until Windows tries to start. At that point I get a BSOD with error 0x0000007b. Have searched for a work around. Have found several that claim to work with Windows 8, as yet nothing fits and works.

I need to run XP program that does not interact well with later versions of Windows. I do not need internet access so updates are not an issue. I have XP Pro SP2 with authentic key. 

I tried the virtualization method, and cannot get usb ports to run correctly. I have been informed that this is an issue with virtualizing os.

My concern was that the newer hardware may not be compatible with XP, and that seems to be my issue.

My 2 cents worth has been added. Should anyone find a way to accomplish this feat, please share :^)

40 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 38,585 Applies to: