"Initialization Failed" error message.

Hello community,

I recently had to use a Windows Recovery tool to save my operating system. I noticed that the system registry was damaged and upon restart I would be stuck at the Windows Emblem loading screen with the spinning dots, so I saved the files that I wanted and re-installed windows with this tool.

Here's the problem - I now do not have a license key to activate windows and I am trying to play a game called Age of Empires 3.

I have successfully installed the game, but upon attempting to open and load it, I am receiving an error message saying "Initialization Failed".

I am wondering what the solution is and if it may have anything to do with an unlicensed Windows being operated (no product key for activation at the moment), or if it is simply missing components or drivers because of a new and fresh install of the OS.

I have never had a problem with this game in the past, and did not have an issue on my previous Windows 10 install.

Maybe it is something in the settings? I do not know. Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks.

Answer
Answer

Nothing to do with Windows activation.

The  "Initialization Failed"  error happens with some games if you don't have Direct Play enabled though.

Go to...

Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off  .Enable  Legacy Components & Direct Play

Also verify that .NET 3.5 is enabled.

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2024 Views 8,087 Applies to: