Infected by virus, no administrator rights, windows services stopped working

Hi,

This is my first post related to computer virus disinfection.

I believe I have reasonable computer knowledge and I always steer away from viruses and malware infected websites.

I have lenovo G550 system, running windows 7 professional 32 bit. But recently my computer somehow got infected with a virus/malware which have made my computer almost unusable and the only solution I can think of is the clean reinstallation of windows.

The symptoms are as follow:
1. Windows services i.e internet sharing, firewall, security essentials, system restore and windows update stopped working.

2. Even though my user account is the only administrator account, I no longer have administrative access.

3. Unable to download files through internet browsers i.e firefox, chrome, IE10. Virus check fails and the file is then deleted. 

4. Cant sign in to online accounts anymore i.e Youtube, webmails, facebook, twitter. Cookies are not accepted.

5. Google chrome detects Sirefef.er virus/malware and suggests cleaning with Microsoft security essentials. 

6. Can't not burn dvds error message, windows unable to complete format.

Solutions tried:

1. Thorough virus scans with AVG, Kaspersky and Malwarebytes antivirus to no avail. All failed to detect and fix problems listed above.

2. TDSSkiller scanned and seems fixed cookies issue for now.

3. System restore always fails to replace files.

Kindly suggest something to restore windows services and guide through the removal of viruses and malwares.

Thank you,

Bilal.

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2018 Views 12,624 Applies to:
Answer

1  As nothing else [judging from your description] says that there is still a malware infection, check the system next:-

1.1  Check the disk -  Windows explorer, Computer, C:\ drive, right-click, Tools, Error checking - Check now, select Fix faults if found, select Yes to schedule a repair, Reboot [Running when you next reboot is what the poorly explained question about scheduling actually means]

1.2  Run the System File Checker How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7 There is additional guidance on it in sfc.exe /scannow.  Do note that the first link also provides a procedure for extracting a list of unfixable errors into a text file in one of your own folders – this is a lot easier to work with than the full SFC results file [CBS.log].

2  If these do not resolve things then there is excellent malware removal advice from “SpiritX” in this thread - SpiritX AV cleaning advice  There's also some MS advice at How do I remove a computer virus?   I appreciate that you'll have to use somebody else's PC to do the downloads he refers to.

3  If the system still has these serious problems but no apparent malware infection then search the forum for each of the problem symptoms to see if there is a known solution. 

4  Have a look at the MS Fixit site to see if any of the issues addressed are relevant to your problems.

5  If there is no known solution & you are therefore unable to fix the existing installation then use [again, along with somebody else's PC for any downloads required]  A guide to recovering from Windows 7 Home Premium User Account lost password, cannot login, login problem  Please do read the intro but the relevant section for you is either

Recovery method 15 – Reinstallation using an existing Windows 7 Installation Disk          [PDF version]

or

Recovery method 16 – Create, then reinstall using, a Windows 7 Installation Disk          [PDF version]

[note that "disk" can mean a DVD or a USB stick]

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.