Inetpub folder

Have to have the inetpub folder?

I'm NOT using any IIS stuff. If I do I want to uninstall it. I have absolutely no need to host any web-sites on my PC. Or is this folder used for something that has absolutely nothing to do with IIS? I have also tried to stop the process Service Host: Internet Information Services, but it just pops up again. If this is a required folder, MS please, please, please put it under the Windows or Programs folders. I haven't seen any of these things since I worked with IIS-servers and after what I thought I knew you only run these services if you host web-sites on your PC?

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2019 Views 36,605 Applies to:
Answer

Having just discovered that "inetpub" folder on my C drive, and being a proud member of the "organization neat freak" club too, especially when it comes to my computer, I stumbled upon this thread amidst my research on the matter.

It's been established that it relates to the IIS software but, as others here, I have never used it (as in never in my 20 years fiddling with computers). Trying to track down IIS sneaky installs, I managed to access the good old "windows features" and realise that a single IIS compoment is indeed installed : "request filtering". Trying to uninstall it prompts a warning that it will disable ".NET extensibility 4.6".

I therefore surmise that another program called for that .NET feature and prompted the install of that lone compoment.

I can't be sure it is the same cause as others on this thread, but hopefully it'll help at least understand what has happened and how to deal with it (uninstalling might disable or hamper other seemingly unrelated software using .NET 4.6)

AND yes, those kind of software should be kept in "traditional windows" folders, not cluttering my root C drive!

112 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.