in windows 10,, media player 12 , a number of tracks from several albums that were ripped from cd's years ago...have vanished....

in windows 10,, media player 12 , a number of tracks  from several albums that were ripped from cd's years ago...have vanished....

...for example, track #1 rocky mountain way, is no longer in that albums folder.

if i do a search it says its in that albums folder , in the music folder, locally and in one drive...

the NAME is in both folders  but there is no track #,  title, contributing artist, or album.....those columns are blank...

when i attempt to play it  media player opens and i get a dialog box that says.....

"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file."

i've done the "restore deleted library items".....which created a second copy of every song in the library, which i think was caused by both the local and one drive music folders being listed in "manage music library"

Then i tried "restore media library" which emptied the entire library......

then going back to manage music library, added only the local music folder ...and all the music came back in media player without the duplicates and without bringing back the missing ones,

then i tried adding microsoft codec packs  with no effect..

Does anyone  know why a tack would disappear, from a  ripped cd?

i haven't seen any missing tracks from downloaded albums.....only ripped ones

thank you. 

jgolden104

Answer
Answer

Hi,  

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, kindly reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the file extension of the file that you are playing?
  2. Are you able to play there file before?

This problem occurs because the Windows Media Player library database has become corrupted. When you try to use Microsoft Windows Media Player 12, you cannot view, add, or delete items in the library. When you try to use the Apply media information changes option, no changes are applied, and the progress indicator does not appear. Follow the below steps, and check if that helps.

Method 1: Windows Media Player database cache file.

1. Go to start
  2. Type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft In the start search box
  3. Then press Enter
  4. Select the Media Player folder, and then click on Delete
  5. Restart Windows Media player

Note: Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.

Method 2: Run Built-in troubleshooter.

1. Go to start, type ‘Control panel’ in the Search filed, and press Enter.
  2. Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
  3. Click on Troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
  4. Run the Windows Media player settings and Windows Media player library.
  5. Restart the PC.

If you are still facing issues, I suggest you to install the codecs, follow this article on Codecs: frequently asked questions, and check if that helps.

Disclaimer: You should only install codecs, filters, or plug-ins from trusted, authorized sources, such as the official website of the codec manufacturer. Be careful when you install codecs that you've found on the Internet, particularly the free codec packs that claim to include codecs from many companies, because these codec packs might include software that can damage your PC. If you've installed any codec packs and are having problems with the Player, we recommend that you remove them.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mithin EJ
Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2022 Views 75 Applies to: