import wab windows address book contacts to Surface?

Hi, I'm a pc windows user, keyboard and mouse only, so having a really hard time getting Surface Pro to work.

I want to move the contacts from an old XP unit to Surface Pro.   I have the .wab file from the old computer.  I have opened it on the Windows 8 platform within Surface, and it has imported the contacts into C:\users\BMR1\Contacts.

How do I get the People App to recognize all those contacts?   It tells me I have no contacts.

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2018 Views 755 Applies to:

Hi Steve,

We can’t import contacts directly to the People app from a WAB file. So I suggest you to convert the WAB file to CSV and then import the CSV file into your Outlook.com mail account via your web browser and then the contacts will appear in the People app.

WAB (Windows Address Book) is a file format used in Microsoft Outlook Express to store all your contact information. If you want to transfer your Outlook contacts to another email program, your best option is to convert your contacts to a Common Separated Values (CSV) format. This is a standard format that is used to import contacts to other programs. To convert a WAB file to CSV, you must export your Outlook Express address book to a CSV file.

To do so :

Step 1:

a.    Log into your identity in Outlook Express.

b.    Click the "File" menu.

c.    Click "Export." Select "Address Book."

d.    Click "Text File (Comma Separated Values)." Click "Export."

e.    Type a name for the CSV file in the "File Name" box. Click "Save."

f.     Click "Next." Select which address book field you want to export. Click "Finish."

g.    Click "OK" and click "Close."

h.    Locate the new CSV file on your hard drive. This is the file you will import to another email program when needed.

Step 2:

Visit http://people.live.com/ you can import the contacts through manage option. You can refer these steps:

a. Visit http://people.live.com/ and login with the same Microsoft ID that you have synced with the People app
b. Click on “Manage” on the top and click on “Add people”
c. Click on “import from a file”
d. Browse and import the CSV file from your computer

Note: It might take some time for the contacts to be updated in the People app in your computer.

You can also refer to the following Microsoft article for more information.

People app for Windows: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/people-faq

Hope this helps.

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be happy to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, the old computer where Outlook Express was being used has crashed.  I have extracted the .wab file from that computer's disk, but I don't think I can run Outlook Express from the system repair boot disk I  have.   ...but I will try.   It really stinks that there is NO conversion utility around that can convert the .wab to .csv.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Steve,.

You may find third party software that can convert .WAB file to .CSV file. You can use your favorite search engine to find that.

Note : Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

For any issues related with Windows, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Karthik, I was able to export a CSV file with the contacts using a different method:   Others may search and find this thread, so I'll explain:

I have a very old laptop that still works (except clock battery is dead, so clock needs setting each startup.)  It had a copy of Outlook Express 6.   I found its .wab file at
C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

I renamed the existing .wab file, copied in the one I wanted to convert, and changed its name to match the original name of the existing file.   Then starting Outlook Express, I could see the contacts I wanted to convert.  I then used the instructions above in Step 1, to create the csv file.

It looks like the Step 2 part is pretty easy.

Sorry this didn't help.

I asked for this help yesterday and a reply from a Bhusan who suggested I get an

Can you help

Albert

Sorry this didn't help.