Import mail to windows 10

Hi

I have a POP3 email account on my old laptop - running windows vista with outlook 2007.

I can export the mail etc into various formats, .pst, comma separated values DOS or Windows, or Tab Seperated Values DOS or Windows.

Question 1. Which one do I use?

Question 2. once exported how do I import them into the mail app supplied with windows 10 as there seems to be no file etc menus...

Many thanks

Howard

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2019 Views 34,172 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Howard,

Thank you for being part of the Windows 10 family.

Sorry for the inconvenience, the mail app doesn't have the option to import the contacts and emails from outlook 2007. Mail app is just simple mail interface and it is not a full fledge mail client.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on Windows related issues. We will be glad to help.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Replying to a question without giving possible solutions to a problem is not helpful.

131 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Good morning, Microsoft Engineering Team --

Is there a free downloadable Microsoft mail client for Windows 10?  After over a decade of having Outlook Express and Windows Mail, this is a non-trivial shortcoming.  After internet access, mail is the most important application on a computer.

If such a mail client is not available, what is the recommended path?  Office 2013 or Office 365 using Outlook?

Thank you.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If all you need is a simple Mail program, you can use the Windows 10 Mail app.  It is system (as in it is already installed) app.  You can also install Live Mail from here (note you might want to customize install to only install Mail): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials

And of course if you need more out of your email client you can get Office.

Note I'm just another user trying to help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate the quick reply.  However, Windows 10 Mail does not allow for the importing of emails from earlier Mail programs.  (In my case, I am trying to move my wife from Windows Mail on Vista to Windows 10.)  As Nyima noted above: the mail app doesn't have the option to import the contacts and emails 

It kind of sucks ...

100 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Several other mail clients you can use - Windows Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird to name just two...

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

First off I'm not sure why you aren't going to use Outlook 2007 if you have the proper license for it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-compatibility-with-microsoft-office/bdbce0d7-88fc-4d95-866c-77455c391fb6

Also if a person plans ahead you can get export/import in a way from any mail client/server that will support IMAP.  IMAP unlike POP3 is a two way interface.  So say you setup an account on Google or any other service that allows for IMAP.  And setup that account that account in your email client.  You can now just select and copy your mails from one account the other, and IMAP will push those up to the server.  And they will be available for any other email client like the Windows 10 Mail app to download.  Note that once the email is on the server the client downloading the email can even be a POP3 (but you will only have access to the inbox).

Also not that even though most email clients allow you to create folders that with IMAP will be created on the server, the Windows 10 Mail app can't create folders at this time.  You will have to either create them with another email client or with the web client of the email provider.  Once the folders have been created the Windows 10 Mail app can sync to them with IMAP.

Sorry this didn't help.

I, too, am going to be moving the wife from Windows Mail to Windows 10. What did you end up doing? Thanks 

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also trying to move contacts & messages from Windows Mail to Windows 10. Can't get a clear answer. How did you do it? Thank you

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft has not provided any conversion programs, or any way to imported emails from another program.  And even though it might not seem clear to you, I did provide the only way to get your messages into the Windows 10 Mail app.

So there is basically no way to point at a data file from another email program and say "import this".

The only possible way to get your messages into the Windows 10 Mail app is to use the email server to do the transfer.  As in you have to run whatever email program can read your email data file, and set it up so that it is using IMAP.  With IMAP you see the files/folders that are in that data file, but also any folders that are on the email server.  And if you copy from the local folder to one on the server, the files will be transferred up to the server.  Once then when you connect the Windows 10 Mail app to that server, it will see your messages.

Here is some information on the process using Outlook.com, which is an account you normally get with your Microsoft account.  The same can be done with GMail.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/outlook-import-email-imap/

As for the contact.  That is a separate program, Windows 10 People app.  And yes it has the same limitations.  I don't have any need to transfer my contacts so I have not done anything on here, but I think the process would be similar.  As in I notice that since I have People connected to my GMail account (connection is automatically made when you connect accounts to Mail and Calendar), if I add a contact to my GMail account, it shows up in People.  So what would want to look for is a way to export your contacts from your old email client and then import it into say Outlook.com or GMail, which are connected to your Windows 10 programs.

So you didn't do this before the upgrade.  And now whatever email client you used is no longer available, and you don't have a way to do this.  Well I'm sorry you are stuck.  About the only thing I can suggest is that if you are within the period of time to rollback to your old Windows.  That is probably what you want to do.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.