IME toolbar floating undesirably

Background: I have a Japan-based laptop with Windows 10 Home, 21H1 (19043.1237), in which I changed the Windows language to English but still type in Japanese frequently. I use the laptop's display plus an ultra-wide monitor on a shelf above it, forming a roughly T-shaped work area.

Historically, I used to keep my IME toolbar on my system tray, and was happy with it there. The language/input method stayed how I set it (Japanese), and I could get to the IME Pad or other items in the toolbar with one click. But at some point a couple years ago the full set of icons disappeared, only showing two icons: the language/input method (which would sometimes switch to English without my permission after updates), and the input mode. Now (suddenly sometime in the last few days) an IME toolbar has reappeared, but it looks very different - a light gray floating bar with thin, black icons. I thought, "Oh, the bar is back! I'll now drag it to the system tray and all will be well!" But alas, I can drag it anywhere EXCEPT to dock on the start bar/system tray.

And here is the worst problem: After dragging it to the bottom right corner of my laptop display, where I would be able to always find it and it would be sort of out of the way, when I give focus to a window on the upper display where I can type text (like this page), the IME toolbar will jump to a different location - usually about 3cm below the top of the laptop display, or occasionally the bottom of the ultra-wide or a few cm above the bottom of it. I think the toolbar is trying to be closer to where I'm typing, but that's annoying, not helpful.

Is there a way to get this new toolbar to dock to the system tray so that it's never blocking part of a window? Or at least stay where I put it? Yes, I know I can disable it completely, but that's not my first choice.

Hi Osaka. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

Follow Option Six in this tutorial to dock the Language bar to Taskbar:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/103041-turn...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions. Please report back results for all steps given so I know what else to suggest if necessary.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My bar doesn't look like that and doesn't have any minimize bit in the corner. It looks like this:

I clicked the gear and selected "Hide the language bar" (or some such wording - I don't remember exactly now) and it disappeared (no big surprise). I thought I could get it back by following Step 2 on that page you linked, but that didn't do the same thing - it changed the two icons from the newer style:

to the older style (which is even less useful - it doesn't even show the input mode indicator of "A" vs. "あ", which is absolutely critical):

Then I clicked "Language bar options", which popped up this dialog with these settings:

I tried "Floating On Desktop" just to see what would happen, and I got an old-style small bar with the less-useful pair of icons:

On that bar I clicked the little down arrow and selected options, but that took me to Settings -> Language, which seems irrelevant. I then clicked the "-" icon, which fits with Step 6 of the instructions, and that just put the old-style two icons back on the taskbar.

Finally I tried unchecking "Use the desktop language bar when it's available", bringing back the newer style pair of icons, and then right-clicking the "A" and selecting "Show/hide IME toolbar", which got me back where I started, with the new style floating toolbar (first screenshot above).

Hilariously, I can click a combination of stuff (which I don't remember) that gets me BOTH styles of floating bar simultaneously (and nothing in the taskbar):

But I can't get any toolbar with an IME Pad icon (the bucket) in the taskbar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, but all those links are about fixing a problem I'm not having: IME becoming completely disabled. In my case, IME is enabled and I use it every day. (I can't say it has never disabled itself, but it's rare.) I switch input modes between multi-byte Japanese and regular ASCII using a dedicated key on my Japanese 106-key keyboard, and I look at the icon to see which input mode I'm currently in. Most of the time I can get the Japanese characters I want by typing how they are pronounced. But when I can't (I'm not a native speaker), I reach for one of the tools in the IME Pad - either the Hand Writing area to draw a kanji with my mouse or the Character List if I'm looking for a symbol or special character.

I was spoiled for years having that IME Pad icon (among others - all the icons that make up the "toolbar") always visible on the taskbar. Then it disappeared and left me with only the input mode and language icons. Now the toolbar reappeared as a floating thing, so I thought I could get it to go back on the taskbar like old times. But maybe that's just not possible. If floating is the only way it works now, I'll just hide it, because it's sometimes in the way of seeing other things, and it's easier to do an extra click or two to get to the IME Pad from the input mode icon than to try to find the floating toolbar that won't stay in the same place and blends in with other content.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So docking the Windows 10 Language toolbar works but causes you to lose some of the tools you require, is that correct?

Since you want the toolbar docked and you are able to do that, is there another way to get to the tools you need quickly with it docked?

I would report this to Microsoft use the Feedback Hub app in Start Menu where developers are tasked to process consumer feedback. They will not even see it here. This is a tech forums staffed mostly by volunteers trying to help others with your problems.

If you want to post back a Share link from your Feedback here others who see this thread can vote it up and add to it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

> So docking the Windows 10 Language toolbar works but causes you to lose some of the tools you require, is that correct?

If those two icons can be defined as the "toolbar", then I suppose so. But the taskbar has the exact same display whether the floating toolbar is showing or not, so it doesn't seem like anything is being "docked" - it's just hidden. And that's the term the context menus are using also - "hide/show", not "dock/float".

> Since you want the toolbar docked and you are able to do that, is there another way to get to the tools you need quickly with it docked?

Yes - it's just one or two extra clicks. This is not a show-stopper. I just thought that since the full toolbar reappeared after having been gone (from my installation, at least) for a couple years, there might be a way to get it back on the taskbar like I had it for years.

> I would report this to Microsoft use the Feedback Hub app in Start Menu where developers are tasked to process consumer feedback. They will not even see it here. This is a tech forums staffed mostly by volunteers trying to help others with your problems.

I know. I wasn't expecting MS people to see this. I just wanted to ask the community if there was a way (with the current code) to dock the full toolbar or get the floating one to stop moving around. Apparently the answer is no. But it's not a big deal - I've already spent more time on this conversation than I intended, and spending more time to write a Feedback Hub message is unlikely to get an edge case like this a high enough priority. There are much more annoying issues with Windows that I could report (but I'm sure others already have many times). Thanks for trying to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm happy to help, and wish I could do more. Let's hope this works better in Windows 11 which is released today.

Perhaps the better description is to "Hide." I think "dock" was introduced as the alternative to "floating" toolbar.

I think you have a realistic view of the usefulness of the Feedback Hub, but who knows if they might surprise you. The Language Input bar comes up regularly here in forums so if everyone who cares about it would express their view, it might get some action.

I notice this tutorial is mentioned several places for how to get the old-style "classic" Language toolbar back:
https://winaero.com/enable-language-bar-windows...

Another thing you could try is to ask MVP Shawn Brink in the comments section of this tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/103041-turn... since Shawn is often the best expert for subjects he writes about.

I hope this helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 1,098 Applies to: