Image Restore using Windows 7 Ultimate Edition EXTREMELY slow.

I really would like to submit a BUG report to Microsoft, or speak to them for free. However my product ID has expired, so here I am.

There is something drastically wrong when I do an "Image Restore" in Windows 7 Ultimate Edition in my environment. It took over 11 hours to restore a SSD of only 50 GB. The Image Save only took 2 or 3 minutes.

This is a Sager Laptop and I'm Restoring from the Seagate drive to the SSD both on the same SATA ACHI controller.

What I noticed:

1. The HD activity light flashed very shortly every 50 to 60 seconds during the Restore. Whereas the HD activity light flashed very rapidly and staying lit continuously for brief periods of time during the Image Save. Obviously the data transfer was slower during the Restore.

2. When installing the Intel ACHI drivers for the Restore, it would only accept Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 Series/3400 Series SATA RAID Controller drivers from iaStor.inf.

During a W7 install and after booting into W7, the drivers chosen by W7 were Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller from iaAHCI.inf.

These were obtained from Intel's site "f6flpy96x64.zip Version 9.6.0.1.1014" Don't know why there isn't a consistent selection. By the way, the Restore was extremely slow without trying to install the Intel drivers too.

3. HARDWARE CONFIGURATION

IDE ControllerIntel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller
   Disk Drive   OCZ-VERTEX2 SSD (46 GB, IDE)  
   Disk Drive   Seagate-ST9320423AS (298 GB, IDE)  
   Optical DriveTSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C  

Computer Manufacturer  CLEVO CO.
Computer Model Clevo W870CU (Sager NP8760)
Operating System (O/S)  Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit

Processor Properties: 
   Manufacturer   Intel
   Version  Genuine Intel(R) CPU  i7-620M
   External Clock    133 MHz 
   Maximum  Clock   3200 MHz 
   Current  Clock   2660 MHz 

Chipset Intel PM55
Motherboard Bios Phoenix Bios 1.01.12S.LS1
RAM 4GB DDR3 at 1066Mhz

What's up with this?????

Answer
Answer
I had exactly the same issue and the MSFT-answer is more than ridiculous.
Here is my solution: In the BIOS I switched back from AHCI-mode to IDE-mode and then it worked as expected, 3 minutes instead of 8 hours!
Hope this helps some others.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Okay i thought i'd share my experience after having had to go through painful waiting hours one day before an approaching deadline of an important project deliverable with no progress on thisbuggy recovery system. 

The suggestion stated by other members didnt work with my Dell XPS 9300 as it doesnt support IDE. However, out of desperation, i switched SATA mode to RAID. 

The result? It worked! I didnt have to wait for days to restore a few gigabytes. The re-image process took 20 minutes only to complete. 

If it wasnt for you guys and your insight, there'd have been so many regrets. 

And MSFT should have fired their rep who responded to this thread for his ignorant, misleading response. 

Thanks guys. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2020 Views 4,900 Applies to: