I'm looking to find out what this update KB3138612 is really about.

* Original title: KB3138612 update

I'm looking to find out what this update is really about. I've gone through a lot of optional updates this morning and going back and hiding all that pertain to Win 10. Yes, I'm one of those people that do not want Win 10 on my computer. I have a laptop with Win 10 on it. It gets used every blue moon and it's brand new, bought it last November. Win 10 is still to buggy for me. So if anyone can tell me if this update has anything to do with Win 10 I would be grateful. 

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2019 Views 7,853 Applies to:

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you would like to know about an Update (KB3138612). I will certainly help you with the issue.

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

You may also refer to the suggestion by Harkanwar Singh replied on October 12, 2015 from the link mentioned below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/how-to-stop-windows-10-update-notification/99536225-b9e2-437a-99a2-814db5a04f4e

Hope the information helps.

Reply us with the status of the issue.

Sincerely,

Ankit Rajput

Regards,
Ankit Rajput

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That should be listed as an Optional update for now but might change into an Important update later - maybe on the next Patch Tuesday which will be March 8.

What is Patch Tuesday?

MS previously released KB3135445 which was supposed to fix some problems with Windows Update.

If you look at a snippet of the list of included files in KB3135445, they are time stamped 11-Jan 2016:

Then if you look at the list of files in this KB3138612 (the one you mention) you can see the same list of files, but a day later and the File Versions have changed:

There doesn't seem to by any explanation of what was fixed but I would say it appears safe for now.

I would surmise that maybe MS had an "oops" moment with the older KB3135445 or made a quick fix somehow and the KB3138612 you mention is replacing/superseding the one day older KB3135445.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ankit,

Does this update (KB3138612) have anything to do with Win 10?

Thank you,

David Kwak

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to remove Windows 10 notification:

Method 1: Uninstall the Windows Update as follow:

Remove the Windows updateKB 3035583

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Rename the GWXUXWorker.exe

Terminate the GWX.exe process using Task Manager. Moreover rename the GWXUXWorker.exe and GWX.exe to .old as suffix from directory location:-

Windows\System32\GWX, if getting any issues while renaming then give the system permission's to respective files and then try to rename it again. OR you can delete the entire directory folder.

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:  Registry key to stop the notification :-

1. Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog box.
  2. In the Open field, type regedit.
  3. Click OK.
  4. Click Yes on the User Account Control (if prompted).
  5. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Gwx
  6. Right click.
  7. Click Modify.
  8. In the Value data: field, dword:00000001.
  9. Click OK.
  10. Exit Registry Editor.

Important this method contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

For more information about KB3138612, you may refer to the link below:

Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: March 2016

Regards,
Ankit Rajput

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems like an innocent enough update,

I also have no intention in upgrading any of my win-7 computers,

No reason if I want 10 I'll buy it and have both installs on separate ssd's and on one I do.

Make a system image before loading updates

I loaded the update in question on one nothing so far

You can use GWX Control panel to check

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

I believe KB3112343 was a more interesting Important update to be concerned with ;)

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

Sorry this didn't help.

The KB is nearly useless for evaluating whether I want this patch in my environment or not.  Let's take a look:

"This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This update has a prerequisite. "

....ok, what are the improvements?

"

This update contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. "

Well that doesn't help.

I'm then told how to install the update (thanks, but we have WSUS, got that covered),  followed by an extensive list of files that are affected.  I'm a sysadmin, not a kernel hacker, I have no idea what most of those files do, and I have 200+ other KBs to review.

Nowhere does it have a plain English "Here's what this update does, it improves X, Y, and Z."

The quality of Microsoft's KB articles has plummeted in recent years.  What will it take for you guys to step up your game?

Sorry this didn't help.

This to date is also a more interesting update KB3139929 ;)

Looks like M$ is getting quite creative in pushing win-10 junkware

Seems simple though just don't use ie11 which is a pitiful browser anyway but seems just not using it or msn.com/ bing..... as a home page is also simple enough :p

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3139929

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/03/09/security-update-ms16-023-installs-new-get-windows-10-functionality/

http://www.askwoody.com/2016/ie-patch-kb-3139929-when-a-security-update-is-not-a-security-update/

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the note about KB3139929.  Saved me a lot of frustration!

Sorry this didn't help.

The knowledgebase article is about as much use as visiting the local supermarket for detailed information on the update.

In my days as a System Administrator, the KBs had enough informative, detailed information to make an educated decision on the impact of the update to users if deployed.

As noted elsewhere in the thread, KB3139929 - a SECURITY update - included several NON-SECURITY fixes all packaged up conveniently in the same update.

What if the NON-SECURITY updates were incompatible with locally developed software on my user's computers? There is/was no obvious way to remove the unnecessary - to me at least - non security updates.

So, my dilemma is; Do I run a system with increased vulnerability because Microsoft deems fit to 'bundle' in additional 'fixes' with security patches?

By Microsoft's own definition, security fixes are just that - to patch vulnerabilities. Anything else  simply isn't and has no business being included in a security fix.

KB3146449 has it's own KB page detailing little more than any Internet Explorer 11 installation is updated to 'push' Windows 10. Why is this relevant to Windows 7 or 8.1?

It's surely a consumer's choice to choose if and when they upgrade or adopt Windows 10 - isn't it??

So, can you - or anyone else at Microsoft - explain why non security updates are being included in security fixes?

Oh wait,... I recall the definition of 'unlimited' was recently changed as well when used in the context of cloud storage so perhaps my dictionary is just out of date.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I know I'm late to the game but since Microsoft is now using security updates to push Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrades I'm trying to figure out which ones have been affected.

Ankit's response to qwest's inquiry about whether or not KB3138612 is related to Windows 10 is to provide information on how to turn off the Windows 10 notifications. 

To state the obvious, turning off Windows 10 notifications, as suggested by Ankit  in no way stops Microsoft from continuing to provide updates that contain Windows 7 or Windows 8 update code.  So, Ankit's irrelevant answer to a simple question does not apply.  But I believe everyone already knew that.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.