I2C HID Driver Touchpad Failure (I think I solved it)

If the touchpad on your laptop has failed. You're playing now you see it, now you don't wit TOUCHPAD in your settings. And no customer support can assist you from HP or MSFT, try this it just worked for me...

Go to DEVICE MANAGER

Expand HUMAN INTERFACE DEVICES

And you see 12C HID Device has an error.

If you click DRIVER and then UNINSTAL DEVICE the 12C HID Device is delisted, and on startup it magically refreshes.

I was hoping that would do it, but the TOUCHPAD was still inoperative, and the error persisted.

Then, on a wild thought. I repeated UNINSTAL on all of the HID-compliant Device tabs. My thought was the whole HID Device needed a reboot. As soon as they all delisted, I said a prayer and rebooted.

And my touchpad was finally restored!

I hope this helps others, as this was really frustrating.

Ps. In Touchpad settings (once you can access them again) it's also a good idea to tic LEAVE TOUCHPAD ON WHEN MOUSE IS CONNECTED.

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

UPDATE.

After 10 hours testing, no issues, I allowed the computer to sleep. The TRACKPAD disabled again; however, the error did not reappear in the Device Manager. Deducing the issue was related to hybernation I did a restart and again the Trackpad was functioning.

I then discovered the true culprit.

In about half of the HUMAN INTERFACE DEVICES elements there is an additional tab called POWER MANAGEMENT and wouldn't you know it, there's a tic box entitled, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and that, my friends, is what keeps turning off the Trackpad. Why on earth it's the default setting, God only knows.

Hop this helps all y'all.

134 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Hi, had the same issue, and the first time uninstalling\installing again I2C HID from the device manager helped me, but when the issue come back a few weeks later the previous solution did not help. So if it does not help just close Synaptics driver (or whatever it could be) from the task manager and then uninstall your I2C HID device. Update device configuration and it should work fine after that.

Win11 insider build 22557 HP Elitebook 840 g8 aero.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dmitry,

I have been struggling with touchpad issues since I upgraded to Windows 11 on my HP Notebook. All the HP Support solutions including resetting the machine and even touchpad replacement have failed. I didn't observe the issue when I went back to Windows 10 for a few days. As soon as I came back on Windows 11, it has returned.

I have tried Steve's solution of disabling ""Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"" on the L2C HID devices but it didn't work. I want to try your solution but I don't understand all of it. Like what do you mean by closing the Synaptics touchpad driver (do you mean uninstalling)? Also, what device configuration is to be updated and how? It would be great and really helpful if you can elaborate. Thanks.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AayushGupta210,

According to my observations since last post, the problem has not yet been completely resolved yet and I still facing it from time to time. I'm using last release of Windows 11 from insider beta channel and my laptop is HP EliteBook 840 Aero G8.

How do i fix it now: well, if my touchpad is not working, I open task manager first and ending all Synaptics related tasks there (is is 3 of them in my case)

Then I'm deleting L2C HID from device manager and starting all 3 Synaptics processes from \Windows\System32

And after that I'm scanning for HW changes in the Device Manager, and more often L2C HID is going alive.

Sometimes it doesn't work and I need to reboot and go through those three steps again. The weird thing I also noticed is that the touchpad doesn't turn off completely, it still responds to touch, turning on the keyboard backlight, but the cursor doesn't move. And, if earlier the touchpad sometimes turned off after rebooting or returning from hibernation\sleep mode, then with the latest update of the Windows assembly, it began to turn off right during operation. So I suppose it is kinda driver conflict.

Regards,

Dmitry

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your detailed answer. Much appreciated.

I am also sorry to know that your issue hasn't been resolved. You are on an Insider build but I am on a stable Windows 11 build and still facing the same problem. In fact, even going back to Windows 10 has not resolved this problem for me.

I could not try your fix as the I2C HID Device does not uninstall for me once the touchpad is no longer working. It keeps trying to uninstall it and then I give up after a while.

I have asked HP to look into it. Fingers crossed!

Regards,
Aayush

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi @AayushGupta210

I have a Lenovo laptop, I am also facing the same issue.

The Touchpad option completely missing from the entire system [Under Mouse Setting, under BIOS, under Device Manager].

I have tried all the solutions listed above , did you get help from device manufacturer (HP) and is your issue resolved ?

If yes , can you help me with the steps ?

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Abhishek,

HP could not resolve the issue remotely and also with 2-3 Service Engineer visits. They have taken the laptop and given me a replacement laptop till the time they fix the issue. They said it would take about 2 weeks. About a week has passed so I would probably know in another week or 2.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you use a mouse or what and was the i2 hid device disabled

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Aayush ,

I am facing the same issue been using a Bluetooth mouse for over a year now as there seems to be no solution to this. I considered giving my system to HP folks but it will cost me a fortune as my 14dh x360 is out of warranty and many suggest even changing trackpad isn't solving the issue. Please do keep us updated

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been facing the same issue with DELL Inspiron 5000 2-in-1 since I upgraded to Win11. I have tried most of suggested solution. Uninstalling I2C HID driver and reinstalling, downgrading drivers, load default BIOS (it was working great - Unfortunately, it doesn't now), and the last working solution now is unchecking auto detect external USB from BIOS setting :(

May be this will be useful for someone.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 166,852 Applies to: