I want to set the default user account when I log onto my computer but can't

I have two accounts on my Windows 10 system. One is a Microsoft Account that is corrupted (start menu is crashed and will no longer start). The other is a new local account that Answer Desk created for me. When I turn on my computer the system automatically boots me into the corrupted account. I want it to automatically boot me into the new account. Every single tutorial and answer on this site seems to point to turning local accounts into Microsoft Accounts. I will never do this again because it seems to be an open door to account corruption.

How can I set my local account to be the default account on this computer?

p.s. The Answer Desk tech said there is no fix for my crashed start menu and we tried several different ways to fix it without a complete refresh of the system. I don't want to know how to fix that account. I'm done with it. The Answer Desk tech said I should keep the corrupted Microsoft Account user because it might have information I need in the future. I have found a few things over there that I needed in the new profile, but I suspect its usefulness will diminish over time.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I apologize for the inconvenience.

You can see this behavior when there is no password set to the User Profile or if you have unselected the option "User must enter username and password to use this computer" under User Account settings. I see you telling the system boots automatically to the Microsoft account, where there is no possibility of accessing Microsoft account without a password, until the option "User must enter username and password to use this computer" option is unselected under User Account settings.

Suggest you to cross check with those settings by pressing Windows key + R, type netplwiz and hit Enter key. Now see if the option "User must enter username and password to use this computer" under User Account settings is unselected. If yes, then try to select the check box and click Apply/OK. Reboot your computer for the changes to take place.

Going forward it will ask you to select which account to login.

Let us know the status.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 11, 2024 Views 15,044 Applies to: