I need to disable and re-enable my wifi adapter to get a stable connection

So this is an easy thing to describe honestly as I will be using a screenshot to show you the issue.

This happened on my old PC and this is a new one so we can rule out the hardware side already, and considering I can disable and re-enable my wifi adapter to get a stable connection we can rule out that being the issue. 

Anyway what is happening is this (imgur link), I took this whilst downloading a game to get the full bandwidth of my connection.

Once I disable my adapter and turn it on again I get a straight and stable line. If I don't then do this then I get connection issues such as downloads going from 1.9Mbps to 300kbps and back up again every 15 seconds or so.

Location services is turned off and I have the same issue with a USB adapter too. 

Update - Restarted PC, had the issue and read online a bit about the service called "WLAN Autoconfig"(WlanSvc). I did a connection test myself by trying to download something and had the weird graph. I then restarted the service (Taskmanager < services < WLAN Autoconfig (Wlan Svc) < restart) and this fixed the issue straight away. 

Gonna see what else I can do and will report back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Okay I fixed the issue completely by using the task scheduler and using a batch file to restart the service on login after 30 seconds of any user being logged in.

To do this all you need to do is the following - 

Right click your desktop and create a .txt file, edit the file so that it has the following written inside of it

Net stop WlanSvc
Net start WlanSvc

Click save as (must be save as) and change the file name to something like "Restart.bat" (you need .bat in order for it to execute) 

You can test that this works before doing anything further in case this isn't what is causing your issue by right click the file you made and starting is as admin, if it fixes your issue then good! You're on track.

Once you've done this move the file to a location that best suits you, I chose to put it into my local folder inside of %appdata% (do this by searching in your start bar for %appdata% or going to your documents < view < hidden items and going to your local disk < users < account name < appdata). Local was best suited for me as I don't need much access to this area of my computer.

After that start up a program called task scheduler. 

On the right hand side click create task, name is anything you need to and add the description incase you ever need to edit it. Click on change user or group < advanced < find now < and scroll until you can click on SYSTEM. Click ok and ok again.  Make sure to configure for your operation system! Change the triggers by clicking new < at log on and make sure that the enabled check box is ticked. Also I recommend changing the delay to 30 seconds to ensure that the task is set up properly (I had an issue with no delay) 

Go to actions < new < start a program and click on browse for program/script and find the file that you created (in this case I made "restart.bat". Click ok once you've finished and restart your computer.

Hopefully this helped another user and not just myself.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2023 Views 2,187 Applies to: