I need help for restoring the previous File Explorer. The 23H2 File Explorer feels lazy, sluggish and it killed the address bar drag and drop feature.

This is the worst update they have made for the File Explorer. The latest Update 23H2 killed the drag and drop feature in File Explorer's Address Bar.

I'm one of those people who drags and drop files through the address bar as part of my work. That feature is very useful and necessary for my work but they/you devs blew it.

Now it is very hassle and difficult to use unlike before. You cannot even open the options anymore for switching the folder light/dark theme. 

Switching the position of the address bar and ribbon is unnecessary too. It feels sluggish and lazy. It feels like copying the address bar of the edge/chrome/firefox but instead it feels like there is no point of using the address bar anymore.

It is kind of annoying to remove such good feature considering the part they/you devs are updating is called the "File Explorer". The removal of the convenience in exchange for inconvenience just because only few people use it is ridiculous. It made my work flow slow than before.

How about letting us keep it and let the "resourceful people" who discovered the feature, use it? These people are those who fully appreciate the "hidden feautres" because they fully explore your hard work and you are just killing the feature right now.

So the question is. Is there a way to revert back the previous version of the File Explorer? I don't want to use the new one.

Hi, Pat,
Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.

Microsoft keeps working on updates to improve the Windows 11 features, sending your feedback in the Feedback Hub or finding feedback similar to yours and upvoting it, will help Microsoft to identify which features the users most want.

You can see how to send feedback in the Feedback Hub at this link.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sen...

To revert back to the previous File Explorer you can use the "System Restore" to restore your computer to a previous point before the installation of the update.
1-Restart your computer while holding the SHIFT button
2-The Advanced Startup menu will open on the boot.
3-Go to Troubleshoot.
4-Now, go to Advanced Options > System restore
5-Select a restore point and click on next to restore

Another option is to uninstall the recently installed updates.
1-Restart your computer while holding the SHIFT button
2-The Advanced Startup menu will open on the boot.
3-Go to Troubleshoot.
4-Now, go to Advanced Options > Uninstall Updates
5-Click on Uninstall the latest quality update and then click Uninstall quality update on the next screen.

I hope this information helps. If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to assist you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Why this dragging feature has been killed? Who is in charge there.. anyone? Or its just a chaos and mess?

29 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have one more issue. When I have file explorer minimized or hidden behind other windows, it will bring itself to front after some time. I am wondering if it is happening to other people as well?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This happens to me too... unsure why. Seems like microsoft just likes disrupting your workflow.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I like the tab function of the new file explorer but I agree it's slow and sluggish compared to its predecessors. Also at the very beginning of the address bar used to be an icon you could drag and drop to a folder and it would create a shortcut. This is no longer present. The best I can do now is right click and copy the location. Then go to where I want the shortcut and right click and create a shortcut. Instead of one drag and drop it's now a dozen clicks and takes 10 times longer.

For the first time while using a Windows O/S I am actively looking for a file manager alternative.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another thing that is minor but frustrating is the lack of indication of the current file within the dropdown menus in the address bar. Sometimes I have to work my way through hundreds of folders in my work. I usually just open the drop down menu by clicking the appropriate ">" and then scroll quickly to the bolded file and click the one after it. Now I have to read the file names and find the file. Minor, but doubles my work time per action.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with all the previous comments.

Please Microsoft, give us the chance to choose the file explorer interface that best suits us (at least let us go back to the one in Windows 10; or the first one in Windows 11)

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I really dislike this version of File Explorer. I move files in and out of folders all the time, as my work progresses on them. Formerly I could drag a file from a folder open on the right side of file explorer to a folder listed on the left. I could open a folder on the left, select a file and drag it to another folder. Now, every single time, I have to click through about six folders starting with the Windows (C:) folder to find the list of folders I want and by then I've lost the folder on the right that holds the file I want to move. Grrrr. I can't tell you how annoying this is.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 2,764 Applies to: