I have windows xp and my computer keeps shutting off for no reason. it just will not run. i was online and it just stopped.its a hp pavillion 515n

I have windows xp and my computer keeps shutting off for no reason. it just will not run. i was online and it just stopped.its a hp pavillion 515n

Question Info

Last updated August 29, 2018 Views 5,023 Applies to:
If your computer is powering off completely at random times.. it could be overheating and powering itself down to prevent it damaging the components.

Or it could be caused by another failing piece of hardware... there are ways to diagnose exactly what that is by taking a look at the event log created automatically when windows encounters an error.

First take a look at the event logs on Windows, then post the error to this site.
Software Developer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

how do i get to the log when it wont stay on long enough,i know its not the fans they are rung quite well............................
rgrguitar

Sorry this didn't help.

Try accessing it from safe mode, 
Switch on your pc and immediately begin pressing F8 on the keyboard (before the windows start logo), then select Safe Mode
It will load, then select your account, then login.
From there, you'll be able to access the event log.

If it fails to do this, have it looked at by a technician.
Software Developer

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

how do i get to the log when it wont stay on long enough,i know its not the fans they are rung quite well............................

rung?

running?

Just because fans are spinning, it does not mean that they are cooling properly. The heat sink below them may be choked up with dust preventing air circulation and therefore also preventing cooling.

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with Tricky300.. Spinning fans do not preclude an overheating issue. I would almost bet this is the result of overheating. I suggest you take it to a repair shop before you overheat it to the point that you warp the motherboard. When you have an issue like this you don't keep turning the computer on trying different things. If you're not a computer repair person this is a situation where you find one.

You might try blowing the inside of the computer to get all the dust out but, my experience is if it is bad enough to make it shut down the heatsink will need to be removed, new thermal compound placed on the processor and the remainder of the inside blown out. It's a job for a computer repair shop.
Microsoft Partner Network Member

Sorry this didn't help.

the vents are clean i cleaned them myself.the computer will not run long enough to get to safe mode.dont have any money .....none so repair person is out.
rgrguitar

Sorry this didn't help.

If the grids on the heatsink do not have dust as shown in the image below (they do not have to be as bad as this though) on them then you need to remove the heatsink, replace the thermal paste (use rubbing alcohol to clean the old paste off) using only a small pea size amount. If the issue persist replace the cpu fan.

Edit: When you cleaned them yourself did you remove the heatsink? If so, did you replace the thermal compound? If it's not staying on long enough to even load Windows then it's the cpu fan and not the case fan.

Sorry this didn't help.

It may be that your mainboard can tell you if it is overheating - in a couple of ways...

1. There may be an event log viewable from within BIOS where thermal events may be recorded.
  2. The BIOS may have a thermal monitoring section where temeratures are monitored.

The HP web site does not recognise "pavilion 515" or "pavilion 515n" so I cannot say wherther this is possible for your PC or not. Is this a laptop or a desktop? Help me locate your model on the HP website and I may be able to assist further...

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.

Only problem with checking the bios is that if he keeps turning it on and it's overheating (which I'm nearly positive it is) he's gonna warp the mb. If that happens he'll be looking at an expense a whole lot greater than a cpu fan. JMO

Sorry this didn't help.