Q: I get hung up when updating. It says: cltmngui.exe application error, instruction at ox769d9342 , reference memory at 0x00000000, memory could not be read. Can someone help me please?, ref memory This thread is locked from future replies

Look at the title and see what my problem is please.

Hello Deb,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community forum.

I would like to know some information about the issue so that we could help you better.

Have you made any hardware or software changes to your computer recently?

cltmngui.exe is a possible malware due to which this issue may occur. We will work together to resolve this issue.

I would suggest you to try following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:
Run Windows update troubleshooter and check the issue. It will check if Windows update services are running properly.
Refer this article:
Open the Windows Update troubleshooter

If it does not help, then use method 2.

Method 2:
Run Microsoft safety scanner to remove any malware or virus and then check the issue.
Microsoft safety scanner

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

If issue still persists, then use method 3.

Method 3:
Please use suggestions provided in this Microsoft knowledge based article and check.
An application error occurs in x86-based applications or services when you install certain updates on x64-based versions of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, or the Itanium-based version of Windows Server 2008 R2

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Thank you for your help. The first method worked.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Deb,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

I am glad that the issue is fixed.

Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.
Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 214 Last updated: December 26, 2017 Applies to: