I forgot my password to my HP laptop, and I don't have a password reset disc, what can I do, please help!

I forgot my password to my HP laptop, and I don't have a password reset disc, what can I do? please help!

Hello there, my name is George, I am an Independent Advisor for Microsoft Products and I will be glad to help you with this question.
From your post, I understand that you have no access to your computer at all and this can be truly frustrating.
Have you tried the “forgot password” option or choose the other sign-in options available, like using the Microsoft account's password?

I would also suggest you trying to access the safe mode. From the HP documantation ( https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c00806682... ) we get that to do so, you need to:

Restart the computer.
At the first screen on restart, before the HP or Windows logo appears, press the f8 key repeatedly.
Select Troubleshoot
Select Advanced options
Select Startup Settings
Select Restart
Press either the number 6 or the F6 key (command prompt)
On the home screen click on Administrator
If you have no home screen, type Administrator and leave the password field as blank.
Click on the Start menu in the bottom left corner, go in the Control Panel, then in User Accounts you can change any user passwords.

If this does not work for you, please create an installation media for your laptop (usually a USB or CD), here are the steps on how to do this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cre...

You can use that tool to repair your laptop. When you see the "Repair your Computer" option while you are following the steps as if you are about to reinstall Windows on your laptop (it would be on the bottom left side of the tool) then, please do this:
Select Troubleshoot
Select Advanced options
Select Command Prompt
AND enter the following commands, and press enter upon each one:

move d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
copy d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
exit

On the Select an option select Continue
On the log-in screen select " Ease of access " (it's in the bottom right side of your screen, between the three icons)
In the command line please use this command and press enter:

net user <username> <password>

and change your password. From there you will be able to change your password.

If nothing of these helped you access your device again, then the only option is to perform a clean installation. This means that you will need to re-install Windows from the installation media you've created.

99 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 84,585 Applies to: