I can't update windows 10. I can't install apps from the store

Hello. I recently upgrated to windows 10. In the first few days , the store was working just fine . I also managed to install some updates. But right now I can't. I try to search for an update but windows titles "Checking for updates" forever . After I restart , it says "Failed to download updates".The store keeps loading and after a wsreset it opens up but I can't install any app. Note that I disabled firewall and my antivirus .

Looks like it found an update from 8/5 but it's not downloading it.

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

This issue might have occurred due to software conflicts or if antivirus is blocking the installation. I suggest you to perform the following methods and check:

Method 1:

Disable the antivirus software in your computer if you have any and check.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2:

If the issue still remains, try manually reset the Windows Updates Components once again and then reinitiate the Windows Update process.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates quickly. 

Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

6.After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates.

Hope it help. Let us know if you need further assistance and we'll be glad to assist.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your time, Navneet Anand. Unfortunately, method 1 didn't work so i moved on method 2.I am stuck at the second step.When I enter the commands for wuauserv and bits it prompts 'The service cannot be stopped' or so.(Also , it's funny how i run into blue screen of death if i try to close a command prompt that does nothing).I managed to close the crypt Scv process via command prompt and for msiserver it says that it's not started.I also want to point out that i did a clean install of Windows with no old configuration .Can you still help me?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue might have occurred due to software conflicts or if antivirus is blocking the installation. I suggest you to perform the following methods and check:

Method 1:

Disable the antivirus software in your computer if you have any and check.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2:

If the issue still remains, try manually reset the Windows Updates Components once again and then reinitiate the Windows Update process.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates quickly. 

Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

6.After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates

Hi,

Mr Navneet

I have done all your orders , but my app store and windows update don't work !

please help us .

thanks a lot .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 4, 2024 Views 1,640 Applies to: