I can't update the anitvirus

I am having a similar problem.  I installed BitDefender, which works perfectly on another machine with XP Pro.  It says I have not updated; Automatic Update and all other Update functions are disabled.  I contacted BitDefender, who sent me files to download and run.  I could not run the files from my user account, followed the instructions above and received the same message trying to run the file from the Administrator account ("You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications.  Please rerun this installation from an administrator's account.").  To add insult to injury, when I logged off the Administrator account and logged back into my user account (also an admin account as I am the only user) most of my desktop shortcuts were missing.

If you could please tell me the solution to not being able to update BitDefender (Benswt only says the antivirus was the problem but does not explain how it was a problem - my problem is that I can't update the anitvirus!) and explain to me how logging on as Administrator, logging out and logging back on to my user account deleted my shortcuts, I would be most gratified.  Also, if there is a short way to restore my desktop without having to manually add all the shortcuts that were once there, that would be helpful.
|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Windows Vista Forums.

There might be 2 reasons why you were not able to install the updates and why the shortcuts were missing:

1)      User account corruption

2)      If the computer does not have the administrative rights.

However, try these:

A)    To restore the computer back to the position where the shortcuts were present, you can do a system restore. But I do not guarantee if that was an issue caused by virus.

To restore the operating system to an earlier point in time, follow these steps:

1.      Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
           2.      In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
           3.      In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click Next.
           4.      Click Finish.
           5.      The computer restarts, and the system files and settings are returned to the state that they were in at the time that the restore point was created.

Check the link “What is system Restore” http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

B) Check if the user accounts are administrative account, if not change the type.

1.  Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, clicking User Accounts, and then clicking Manage Another Account.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.  Click the account you want to change, and then click Change the account type.

3.  Select the account type you want, and then click Change Account Type.

C)     I suggest you to try scanning the computer using Antivirus software because this issue can occur if the computer is affected with virus. You can do a PC Safety scan by clicking on the link http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm    and Clicking on the Full Service scan and accept the Agreement.

D)    Create a new profile and see if you are able to update the Software

1.  Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.

2.  Click Manage another account.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.  Click Create a new account.

4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

Check the link “Create a user account” http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/68a1c4fd-b3f6-4cb9-93a1-8a6023836e531033.mspx#E1D .

E)     Also try running the software or the file as an administrator,

i)                    Right Click on the program of file.

ii)                  Select “Run as Administrator”

iii)                Then check if you are able to update.

All the best!

Thanks and Regards:

Diana D D - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 462 Applies to: