I can't log onto my Surface Pro 3

I go to log onto my Surface Pro and it won't let me. I put in my password and it gives me a message that says "You can't sign in to your PC right now. Go to account.live.com to fix the problem, or try the last password you used on this PC." I put in the correct password and even changed my password and it still won't let me in. Help Please! Thank you!

Answer
Answer

Hello,

I can understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

As per description, you are getting a message “You can't sign in to your PC right now. Go to account.live.com to fix the problem, or try the last password you used on this PC." When you try to login.

To help you suggest steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:  

1. Are you able to access the account when you use the webmail?

2. Have you made any significant changes prior to this issue?

3. Have you tried login using a different Microsoft account or local account on the computer?

I would suggest you to try following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

If you have multiple user account on your computer, I would suggest you to remove and re-add this particular account and check if it helps.

To remove an account from your PC, you must be signed in as an administrator to follow these steps.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
  2. Tap or click Accounts, and then tap or click other accounts.
  3. Tap or click the account you want to delete, and then tap or click Remove.
  4. Tap or click Delete account and data.

This might take a few minutes, if the account has a lot of associated data.

Once the account got deleted try to create a new user account, refer to the steps from the following article.

How do I add an account to my Surface? :

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/security-sign-in-and-accounts/all-about-accounts

If issue still persists try method 2:

Method 2:

If you don’t have multiple user account and then you have to enable the hidden administrator account. And for that you need to have an installation media (bootable USB drive).

Let us first try to create Windows 8.1 installation media (USB). Refer the following link.

How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Contact your computer manufacture for the product key.

Once the bootable media is created, I would suggest you to refer to the following steps and then try to remove and re-add the existing account and check if it helps.

1. Boot from the Windows 8 installation media (USB drive).
  2. Click on Repair your computer.
  3. Click on Troubleshoot and then select Advanced Options.
  4. Select the option Command prompt.
  5. Once you open Command prompt, enter the following command and press enter.
  6. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and then press ENTER. .
  7. Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press ENTER.

Note:  Please replace the <Password> tag with your passwords which you want to set to administrator account.

8.  Type exit and then press ENTER. Log off the current user account and then login with  

Administrator account and then re-add the existing account and check if it helps.

After re-adding the account I would suggest you to disable the hidden administrator account.

To disable hidden administrator account follow the step given below.

1. Press Windows key + X key and select Command Prompt.

2. In command prompt type net user administrator /active:no. And hit enter.

This would disable the hidden administrator account.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 19, 2021 Views 6 Applies to: