I can’t factory reset without logging in

I got locked out of my windows 11 pc and my advanced options are only “startup settings” and “UEFI Firmware Settings” how can I factory reset just using those options?

Hi maddie mason,

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

If you do not have the Reset option in the Recovery Environment, the PC manufacturer may have restricted some of the recovery options, do you have a backup of your personal files, because you may need to clean install Widows from a bootable USB.

Have you tried resetting your login password?

If you log into Windows 11 with a Microsoft Account, use the steps on this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-bil...

If you log into Windows 11 with a Local Account, use the steps on this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/res...

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello maddie mason,

If you are locked out of your Windows 11 PC and only have access to the "Startup Settings" and "UEFI Firmware Settings" options, you may be able to factory reset your PC using the "Startup Settings" option. Here are the steps:

1. Restart your PC: Hold down the Shift key and click on the "Restart" button in the Windows 11 login screen.

2. Choose "Startup Settings": When the "Choose an option" screen appears, click on "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "Startup Settings" > "Restart".

3. Enable Safe Mode: After your PC restarts, you will see a list of startup settings. Press the F4 key to boot your PC into Safe Mode.

4. Open Reset this PC: Once you're in Safe Mode, press the Windows key + I to open Settings. Click on "System" > "Recovery" > "Reset this PC".

5. Choose a reset option: You will be presented with two reset options: "Keep my files" and "Remove everything". Choose the option that best suits your needs.

6. Reset your PC: Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process.

Note: Resetting your PC will remove all your personal files, apps, and settings, so make sure you have a backup of any important data before proceeding.

Thanks

Mr. Trust_A
Volunteer Moderator
Microsoft Support Community

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 46,081 Applies to: