I cannot verify my identity on my laptop and forgot my pin, and trying to use another method not listed there fails

Hello,

I changed my Microsoft account's mobile phone number slightly more than a month ago, and today from my smartphone I changed my account's password and successfully logged into my Windows 10 laptop using the new password. However, although I was able to update the password on OneDrive, I find myself unable to update said password on other apps like Mail and even Settings.

Also, I am trying to verify my identity on Settings > Your Info, which asks me for my pin. But I forgot the pin, and when I click on "Use a method not listed here", the popup window says "Just a moment" but then suddenly closes, doing nothing. I then go to Sign-in options > Windows Hello Pin > I forgot my pin, same thing happens (the Just a moment popup closes suddenly without achieving anything). I removed the Pin, confirmed it with the new password, and success - the pin was removed; but when I click to add a (fresh-new) pin, the Just a moment popup again fails to succeed.

So I'm stuck with the impossibility of verifying my identity on my laptop and the impossibility of logging into my Outlook account from the Mail app (so for now I can only check my emails from the Edge browser or from my smartphone). What should I do?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with your Microsoft account. I'll certainly assist you with the details.

However, please let us know:

1. When you say “I find myself unable to update said password on other apps like Mail and even Settings", what exactly happens when you try to access your account?
  2. Do you receive any error message when trying to add a new pin?
  3. Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?
  4. Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? Refer Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

It would be great if you can share a screenshot, so that I can have a closer look at the issue. Please refer how to include a screenshot in your post to upload the screenshot.

Note: Make sure you don't capture any personal information while taking the screenshot.

Please reply with more information on the issue to assist you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. When you say “I find myself unable to update said password on other apps like Mail and even Settings", what exactly happens when you try to access your account?

Trying to refresh the inbox in Mail, it gave an error that the account needed to be updated (probably the password was changed). Clicking on that message brought me to the popup window that says "Just a moment" which then suddenly closed without doing anything else.

So I removed my Outlook account from the Mail app, then tried to re-add it by going to Accounts > Add Account, bringing me to the "Add an account" popup where I then clicked on Outlook, leading me to the "Let's get you signed in" popup that shows me my current account under "Use this account". Clicking on my account name and the clicking on Continue, it again showed me the "Just a moment" popup that suddenly crashed, reverting me back to the "Add an account" popup.

2. Do you receive any error message when trying to add a new pin?
    The "Just a moment" popup window pops up but then suddenly closes, never showing me a prompt form to fill in the new pin.
  3. Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?
    Actually the issue about the "Just a moment" popup crashing started back when this PC was updated to Windows 10 build 1903 (I think).
  4. Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer?
    It was updated to build 20H2 (19042.746).

Taking screenshots is pointless because it's the Microsoft account "Just a moment" popup window suddenly closing before allowing me to make changes to my account from the PC. Is there a way to submit instead a screen recording of the problem in action? (with personal info blurred or mosaic-censored)

EDIT (1/29/2021):

In addition to the problems above, everytime I turn on Windows and log into my account, I receive this desktop notification:

Clicking on the notification leads me to this:

Clicking on the Fix now button then pops up the "Just a moment" popup window three times (and closes it three times, resulting in no further action):

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 31, 2023 Views 193 Applies to: