I can only access web pages by going through a proxy server (error Error 12029 )

original title: I can only access web pages by going through a proxy server

System: Windows XP with SP3 and all current updates.  I access the internet through a cable modem and wireless router.  There is another computer using the same wireless network without any difficulty.

History: I have been using a proxy server that allows me to access video from another country.  The proxy server requires a username and password, so it did not work well with automatic software updates.  I had been going into the Internet Options> Connections Tab> LAN settings and checking the proxy server box when I wanted to use the proxy server.  When finished I would uncheck the proxy server box.  This was working fine until 3 days ago.  I made no other changes in the settings.

Now I can only access web pages when the proxy server is enabled.  This is true for both Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox.

What I have tried:

1)      Clearing all temporary internet files and cookies.

2)      Network Diagnostics for Windows XP returns this log:

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn

HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established

warn

HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established

warn

HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established

warn

FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established

error

Could not make an HTTP connection.

error

Could not make an HTTPS connection.

error

Could not make an FTP connection.

3)      Disabling the Windows and McAfee firewalls did not help.

4)      The wireless network was being managed by the Dynex Wireless Networking Utility.  I disabled this utility and am now using the XP utility.  The result is the same, I connect to web pages through the proxy server, but not otherwise.

5)      Ping tests work perfectly with or without the proxy server being enabled.

6)      I compared the ipconfig settings of the two computers, they are virtually identical except for the brand name of the adapter, the physical address, and the IP address.

check your ethernet adapter settings by changing the DNS address.
you can use any well known public DNS server address.
also try cmd->
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
If you get to learn something even from the worst of creatures, don't hesitate.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If flushing the DNS as stated above didn't work, check your hosts files. Just search for Notepad, then right-click in the search results list, and choose to run it as administrator.

After launching notepad click on File>Open and then navigate to Computer > Local Disk C: > Windows > System32 > Drivers > etc. Afterwards select 'All Files' from the drop down menu which will enable you to see all the files in that folder. 

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Now select 'hosts' file and click Open. Once opened, scroll down and delete any website address or IP address after the last # sign.

Then click on File > Save and close notepad. Now try to browse the websites that were giving the error previously.

If that doesn't solve it, check with your ISP (internet service provider) and see if they're having an issue with their DNS. Thanks.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 11, 2024 Views 4,544 Applies to: