I am wondering if it is ok to allow the app windows_ie_ac_001 through the firewall

I checked on my firewall status and noticed this app - I am not familiar with it and it seems to be an app for hosting temporary internet files when in Private Browsing Mode, and using 64 bit enhanced mode - both the public and private checkboxes are marked to indicate that it has access through the firewall - is this a good idea to leave them checked, as it seems to be the default setting.

Help with this would be wonderful - I can not find any online forums where people just get to the point without calling each other names.  

Sincerely, Thank you Microsoft!

Jenny:)

Answer
Answer

Hello Jenny,

Internet Explorer's Enhanced Protected Mode tabs run in an AppContainer named windows_ie_ac_001. This container declares the capabilities of the internetClient, location, and sharedUserCertificates and saving temporary files. The AppContainer, that offers more fine-grained security permissions and which blocks Write and Read Access to most of the system. Also, the AppContainer helps ensure that an App does not have access to capabilities that it hasn’t declared and been granted by the user. Moreover, it should be fine to allow windows_ie_ac_001 through your Windows Firewall.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

76 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 26,615 Applies to: