Hyper-V checkpoint issue and now VM fails to start.

I tried to create a checkpoint of my virtual machine, and the attached hard drives were full and the checkpoint failed to be created. My VM went into a “paused-critical” status with the description “Disk(s) encountered critical IO errors”. 

I went and deleted the checkpoints on all 3 attached drives and repointed the VM to the original drives, and turned off checkpoints. But now when i try and start my virtual machine, it will not even start and is getting the error “the application encountered an error while trying to change the state of (my VM name).” Then below that is says “(MY VM name) failed to resume” but it is still pointing to the checkpoint i already deleted.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help me figure out how to get my virtual machine back up and running. 

Thanks

Hello,

this is Roman, I'm a independent advisor.

Removing a checkpoint normally results in a merge process where the new data is merged into the virtual disk of the vm. If this didn't work and the checkpoints are still visible you can try the following (I'd recommend to make a copy of the vhd(x) files before):

1) you can try to discard all changes and reset the machine to the state before you created the checkpoint.
2) if this doesn't work, you can try to create a new virtual machine with the existing virtual hd from the not running machine.
in both cases your system will be at the state when you created the checkpoints and you will loose all changes after.

best regards,
Roman

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Roman,

I appreciate the advice, although i dont believe it will help me. 

I do not have any previous checkpoints for this VM, so i do not have the option to roll back to an older checkpoint. 

I took photos of the errors i am getting. It says there is a pending disc merge and now it fails to start completely. Any idea how to fix it? 

https://imgur.com/a/WWiplBc?s=sms

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If one the checkpoint files is missing you will not be able to recover to merge the data and you get the error you posted. Checkpoint fille are difference disks from a specific time and they are linked together and the only work if all files are present and working (running and merging the vm).
You can try to recover the deleted files and then try again. If you cannot recover the files you can only reset your system to the state when the snapshots where taken.

See here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-...

best regards,
Roman

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Roman, 

Thank you for this information. I am totally fine with restoring to when i took the checkpoint because within minutes, the VM crashed and i havent dont anything on it. I do not care about losin any data, i just want the VM back up and running. What is the best way to restore to when i tried to do the checkpoint? 

Thanks 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First I'd remcommend to make a copy of the vhdx file and rename the file (the virtual hd).
than create a new virtual machine with the existing harddisk (the copied file). This machine should run normally from the state you created the snapshot.

best regards,
Roman

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2024 Views 4,510 Applies to: