Huh, do I need or would it help my pc be safer ie: Windows 10 in S mode atop of my existing Windows 10;

Huh, do I need or would it help my pc be safer ie: Windows 10 in S mode atop of my existing Windows 10;

Sounds like S mode is 'extra security (layer)' but on my Lenovo T430 (refurbished - bought amidst middle of 4 / 2019 from pc's for people.com for about $160), I'm minimally techie, may 'GET' more than my average local folk.

But I'm of course keen on pc security, don't do gaming or Netflicks, more just email processing & web surfing, maybe casual YouTube music video or old movie / film watching, but if even say (?), Kirk (Star Trek)  it's the ship (in this case my pc) that I gotta keep 'right'.

Like whether software & hardware firewall (s), minimal else of security, misc utilities & tool's (whether downloaded or online / web), pc is merely a tool for me. So nevertheless, I just was curious.

Plus also I inquired in another post re: my Windows 10, trying to get the right honest & trustworthy download package for XP look unto a Windows 10, you know what I mean though.

As YEAH, I got the classic shell program, & managed to tweak or get the XP start button & start menu looking cool, BUT it was the Olive Green taskbar I could figure out BUT though the background image I'm not worried about as I got another instead > Standing Jesus over a kneeling man - as HE breaks his chain's off him < I'm sure you could find the Black & White photo / image online / web. WELL . . . okay then . . . Good day to all. Oh, I'm in Los Angeles, California - USA.

Huh . . . per / via: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq, How do I get Windows 10 in S mode? To get Windows 10 in S mode, you need the right volume license agreement and qualifying devices that are already enabled in S mode.  Uh, what's THAT mean? Like . . . do I already have it or not? Or is it just somewhere sitting - to be turned on - tapped into, misc?
Holy Warrior (advocacy) for Jesus / Holy Trinity

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hhmmm . . . sounds interesting; "NSS Labs" - is known globally as a leading security product testing laboratory, offering in-depth security product test reports, continuous security validation, research, and analyst services. NSS Labs conducted two global tests measuring how effective browsers are at protecting against socially engineered malware (SEM) and phishing attacks. The tests were conducted free of charge and NSS Labs did not receive any compensation for browser participation.

Link for reference: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54773

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeffrey

If your PC came with an ordinary version of Windows (Home, Pro . . etc.) you cannot switch your Windows 10 into S Mode.

S Mode is initially installed by some PC Manufacturers and users can either keep S Mode or switch to an ordinary version of Windows, however this switch is one way, there is no way to switch an ordinary Windows installation back to S Mode

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeffrey

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

If you believe you can live by apps only from the Microsoft Store, then enabling S mode can certainly help with keeping your system 'extra' secure. But keep in mind, this means absolutely no more desktop apps from the Internet or discs.

But, if you maintain regular system restore points, backup your system regularly, keep Windows 10 updated, then you don't really have to use S Mode. I personally find it too limiting and need to use desktop apps like Firefox.

You could try it out and see how it works and always go back to installing apps from anywhere.

Click Start > Setting > Apps > Apps & features
Under Installing apps
Click in the list box
Choose Allow apps only from the store
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

Sorry this didn't help.

huh, well thank you. I can appreciate > that you personally find 'it' (Windows 10 in S mode) too limiting, though if & as long as I just maintain however casually self scheduled regular system restore points, backup your system regularly, keep Windows 10 updated, then I don't really have to use S Mode. Huh / hhmmm, WELL . . . okay / alrighty then, thank you kindly.

Sorry this didn't help.

You are welcome Jeffrey.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

Sorry this didn't help.

. . . sigh, OLD issue re: Windows 10 in S mode, no worries, I've moved on from this quite some time ago. Whatever & good day to you, take care.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 25, 2019 Views 34 Applies to: