HP Support Assistant is not working in Windows 10

Hi Everyone!

After I upgraded my laptop (HP Notebook 2000) to Windows 10 from 8.1, I can't open HP support Assistant. It gives a message saying " HP support assistant has encountered a problem and will shut down".

Could someone help suggesting a solution to this. Will remain grateful.

Regds,

Hillman003

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You need to download and reinstall the HP Support Assistant app. It installs right over top the broken one – no need to uninstall the old one first.

Here's where you can get it:  HP Support Assistant

Colin Barnhorst

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a similar problem. since upgrading to windows 10 the HP Support assistant installs on my computer but will not open. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it to no avail. I am using an HP Pavilions dv7-3188cl. 64 bit OS. processor is Intel Core i5.

prior to downloading the updated Support assistant to work with the windows upgrade the older support assistant worked. now I only get an install and then nothing happens when I open it.

help.

thecarpenter

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

What does HP Support say?
Colin Barnhorst

Sorry this didn't help.

No, It didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled HP Support Assistant several times but all in vain. It gets installed but does not open. The problem exist.

108 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

HP Support says nothing. according to their site the new HPSA should be working with windows 10.

I still get nothing. when I try to open it. not even an error message.

thecarpenter

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same exact problem. I upgraded from win 8.1 to win 10 on an HP stream 11 and now when i click on HP support assistant it doesn't work... it doesn't launch. Tried all the suggested fixes.. I reinstalled it dozens of times, restarted etc. It installs fine but doesn't launch after double clicking it. The site is also not able to read my computer to look at my model number like it can normally with the HP software ( the framework) that supports it.  It's like their software doesn't work on win 10 upgrade, at least on my pc.

One thing I noticed is if I right click it and do compatibility trouble shooting, it will not work on windows 8 either and when i send I finally send it to microsoft they return an "incompatible program" detected

Does that mean HP support assistant is known to not work on Windows 10 or just that it can't work in compatible mode?

Is there any other program that functions similarly? Windows update seems to offer much less control of optional, recommended updates. I don't know if it is accessing hp updates. I actually manually installed one driver update but this is tedious.

Sorry this didn't help.

Exact same issue. 

My assumption is that the problem is on Microsoft end. The only thing I have not done is reset system back to Windows 8.1 and start over. Wayyyyyy too much trouble. 

thecarpenter

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have experienced exactly the same issue. When I try to remove the HP Support Assistance I get the fault information: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". The failed path indicated is:

C:\ProgramData\{18165758-115C-4DC0-9EC2-FF89F725767F}\

When I try to download the HP Support assistant from Internet then I finally get the fault information: "Error 1714. The older version o the HP Support Assistant cannot be removed. Contact the technical support Group."

Both the Microsoft- and the HP Technical support teams in Sweden have adviced me back port to Windows8 and then upgrade again. This advice is not acceptable for me since it is extremely time consuming and painful in general. There must be a way to solve this easily reproducable problem analytically from either HP or Microsoft resulting in a patch.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay so I tried to see what was going on with the HP support assistant by using the "event viewer" in Windows but then that started giving me weird error messages itself and it would not work at all.

So instead of going crazy trying to figure out the cause of all these issues I decided to do a Windows 10 reset from the Update and Security/Recovery section of Windows 10 in Settings and opted for it to reset and delete my files and settings (not the option to wipe the drive for computer disposal). There is also an option to reset Windows 10 and keep all your files but I decided I wanted to start from scratch with Windows 10 since I did not have a lot on the pc anyway.

I moved some files I wanted to keep to a USB flash drive first.

It took about 45 minutes to complete the reset. It's almost like doing a clean install... you have to fill out the basic info after Windows 10 resets.

After it started up I did some windows updates and installed some programs and changed some privacy settings and then installed the HP Support Assistant and it installed and launched fine. It found a couple of drivers for me to install and I installed them.

Windows 10 seems to be running well now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Had that problem yesterday after I restored my Hp Envy 2. Reinstalled, and whereas it no longer crashes, it also doesn't seem to be working. All I get is the white logo saying HP Support Assistant, and nothing else. I've run it twice, letting it run for quite a while each time.

If it's actually running and scanning/doing a thing, it bloody well best show something as a form of user feedback mechanism. You know, a bar or even just text that says I AM RUNNING!

HP is so bad at this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 29, 2020 Views 23,511 Applies to: