HP Spectre x360 very slow after wake from sleep with fall creators update

Hey,

I have the 2016 version of HP Spectre x360.  Ever since the Fall Creators Update was installed, whenever my system wakes from sleep, its as though it is still groggy.  I usually have Chrome running, so when I wake from sleep, I go to Chrome and try to surf the web or even refresh pages that were already loaded.  There is a long wait, and then I get a message that the page is unresponsive.  It happens every single time I wake from sleep.  After a minute or two, the system becomes normally responsive.  I guess I should bring up Task Manager before sleeping and then see what is going on when I wake.  Any other thoughts?  There was no sign of this before Fall Creator's Update was installed.

Thanks,

Eric

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

The issue may occur due to incompatibility of your device and drivers. In order for us to assist you, we suggest to check this article: Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10. It contains troubleshooting steps pertaining to your issue.

We look forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

From that list, I have:

1. Made sure I have latest updates
2. Restarted my PC and opened only the apps I need

3. Checked memory and memory usage - I have 16GB of memory and only 5.6 GB in use

4. Checked for low disk space - I have plenty of free disk space - 400GB plus
5. I am not restoring my PC from a restore point.

6. I disabled *all* startup programs

7. I checked for viruses and malware. I use WebRoot.

8. I ran sfc /scannow.  It didn't find any problems.

9. I adjusted performance as suggested.

10. I'm not turning off OneDrive Sync.  If that is the problem, fix it.

11. I am not resetting my PC.

The problem still happens.

Eric

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While Chrome was spinning trying to load a website after waking from sleep, I looked at the WiFi performance tab in Task Manager, and it looked like this:

After about two minutes of spinning, Chrome finally was able to download the web page, and at that point, WiFi performance looked like this:

This could certainly be a symptom of the problem and not the problem itself, but something is keeping WiFi from functioning for two minutes after my computer wakes from sleep.  I have seen the same thing using Edge, so I don't think it's Chrome's fault.

Eric

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I made a video of what its like waking from sleep and waiting two minutes for the Internet to work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VOxbzmXIvs

I think I'm uninstalling Fall Creators Update tonight.

Eric

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How do I get "Go back to the previous version of Windows 10" to show up in Settings > Update & Security > Recovery?

Eric

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Eric,

If you don’t see the “Go back to an earlier build” section, then it’s been more than 31 days since you upgraded to the current build and Windows has cleared away those files. You’d have to reinstall Windows 10 or restore your computer from a full-system backup to go back to a previous build after those 31 days are up.

For detailed instructions and additional procedures on how you can perform this option, see this forum article: How to Use the Rollback Function in Windows 10 1709, 1703 and Earlier Versions of Windows 10.

Let us know if the article helped you rollback to an earlier version of Windows 10.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could my mother navigate those instructions to roll back Windows?  Of course not.  So why do you offer it?  

If that is the alternative, then I'm going to need Microsoft to fix the bugs that have caused Fall Creators Update to cripple my system.

Eric

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Network adapter is being put to idle in sleep mode. We recommend that you configure the power settings properly. Follow the steps below:

1. Go to Settings > Click System.
  2. On the left panel, select Power & sleep then click Additional power settings on the right panel.
  3. On left panel, select Create a power plan > Choose a power plan depending on your preference > Hit Next.
  4. Configure the sleep and display settings by clicking the drop-down menu and choosing your preference > Hit Create.
  5. Select Change plan settings beside your created power plan > Click Change advanced power settings.
  6. Expand Wireless Adapter Settings > Expand Power saving mode > Click Setting then open the drop-down menu and choose Maximum Performance.
  7. Click Apply then OK.
  8. Check if the issue was resolved.

If the issue still occurs, click this support link and follow the on-screen instructions (Refer to the image below and follow the highlighted options only):

Keep us posted if the changing the power plan settings worked.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a Christmas miracle!  I followed the steps Regile Reb suggested, creating a customized power plan and setting the Wireless Adapter Power Save mode to Maximize Performance, and the problem has gone away.  I woke my sleeping Spectre three times today after varying lengths of time asleep, and each time, the Internet was immediately active!

Thanks so much for your help!  I am going to try to cross-post this on Spectre's site.  I never noticed this issue before Fall Creator's Update, so it makes me wonder if Fall Creators Update has different behavior than previous Windows versions when your wireless adapter power save setting is Medium.

I'm really glad I didn't reset my PC or roll back to a previous version of Windows!

Eric

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's awesome news! We're glad to know that you're internet is now working properly when waking up from sleep mode.

Don't hesitate to post back should you have any other concerns.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2024 Views 1,793 Applies to: