HP laptop wont get past startup screen

I was resetting my laptop until it ran into an error, I went back into windows and then turned my laptop off, later I turned my laptop on and it started up, got to the hp screen, then turned off and turned back on and it would loop like that infinitely ive done startup repair and it says that it ran into an error and the log file is: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt and ive tried running “chkdsk /f /r C:” in the command prompt in advanced settings and ive tried resetting my pc again but it all just goes back to the looping startup, recently my hp has gone to just starting up, doing the loading circle thing and then just going black, not turning off but just going black. Im running windows 10 and my model is:HP Notebook - 14-ac151nr (ENERGY STAR). 

Hello,

Hardware and software conflict is one of the possible reasons why you're having this issue. For us to provide you with the appropriate solution, please answer the following:

• Prior to resetting your device, were there any changes made on your computer?
  • If it is possible, can you send us a photo of the error message that you received?

If you have Windows 10 1709, you can perform the steps provided by Jess Can, posted last December 14, 2017, on this thread. This post was marked as an answer.

Looking forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The only changes i made to my laptop before resetting it was move a couple of my games and personal files onto a flash drive so it could put it back in after it resetted. There was no error message after resetting my laptop it just said something like “An error occured while resetting this PC” and then i clicked close and there were four options and i chose to turn it off

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
Ive done that multiple times and either my screen goes blank or it just says “A problem occured while resetting your PC.” And then it just takes me back to the options and if i click “Exit to windows” it just goes through the infinite startup loop or just gives me an error message saying windows didnt startup correctly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Forot to mention that whenever i reset my pc the error occures at 62%

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It says i have windows version 10.0.10586

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
So there is nothing i can do to fix it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lucasis,

Windows 10, Version 1511, build 10586 is no longer receiving security updates from MS.  It is also three generations behind the current version 1709 build 16299.125

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4035050/windows-10-version-1511-will-no-longer-receive-security-updates

You probably wouldn't want to reinstall that outdated version.

Your other options would be to choose from 1607, 1703, or 1709, the current version, if your device is compatible with the latest 1709.  Check with HP if your device is compatible. 

Currently, you are stuck in an infinite repair loop, and you probably will need to clean install Windows 10 from a USB ISO flash drive...unless you can exit from the repair loop you're stuck in. 

It sounds like you have previously tried some of the options within the Advanced Startup Options (ASO) menu. You can force your device back into the ASO menu with three hard shut downs interspersed with reboots.  This auto-triggers the ASO. You could then further explore the options found there. 

Current Media Creation Tool download is for Version 1709 16299.15 

Older ISO's such as 1607 and 1703 can be found at   WINDOWSISO.NET    Download your choice and create bootable installation media to Clean Install Windows 10 

But before you clean install, I would further explore the options within the ASO by forcing your device back into it, with  three hard shut downs and reboots mentioned earlier.

You might want to try what is known as a

Clean Boot  within Safe Mode in the ASO performed as follows.  Force Entry into ASO.

Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Safe Mode (F5) > Restart > Perform Clean Boot > Restart Device  

Some report that performing a Clean Boot within Safe Mode, inside the ASO, and then RESTART your device has cured the repair loop for them.  

Those are some thoughts to consider.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How do i do a clean boot and are the ASO settings the same as system recovery settings (pressing f11 on startup). Also when enabling safe mode are there any visual changes on my screen or does it just look the same, because i ahve no idea if safe mode is working or not

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How do i do a clean boot and are the ASO settings the same as system recovery settings (pressing f11 on startup). Also when enabling safe mode are there any visual changes on my screen or does it just look the same, because i ahve no idea if safe mode is working or not

Yes, the ASO is also known as Windows Recovery Environment. WinRE

Safe Mode inside system recovery looks slightly fatter and stretched...the desktop icons specifically.  The screen may say safe mode at the bottom or somewhere else but you can tell the difference by its fatness.

A Clean Boot is explained HERE in detail.

Study it until you feel comfortable with it. Repeat reading helps.  Good luck. Check back.

Regards,

Wayne

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 11, 2024 Views 3,768 Applies to: