How to use the Windows DVD Player in Windows 10

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

If your computer includes a DVD Player, you can use it to watch DVDs. Prior versions of Windows included native DVD Playback. Since the launch of Windows 8.0, Microsoft made DVD Playback optional. The company initially offered a free copy of Media Center as a feature pack to users running the Pro edition for a limited time. Windows 10 removes DVD Playback support completely. That means, no support for Media Center and no native DVD Playback in Windows Media Player.

Users who need to play DVD movies, will need to purchase the Windows DVD Player app or depend on a third party application such as VLC Player, which works just as well. If you were previously running a premium edition of Windows such as Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate or Windows 8.0/8.1 Pro with Media Center, Windows 10 will include the Windows DVD Player for free if you perform an in place upgrade. If you perform a clean or custom install, you will need to purchase the Windows DVD Player app separately or use a third party application. In this article, we show you how to use the Windows DVD Player app.

Details

The Windows DVD Player is quite basic, but functional for most user needs. To check if you have the Windows DVD Player app installed, press Windows key + Q then type: dvd

If it shows up in the search results, hit Enter on your keyboard.

If you have not inserted your DVD disc, proceed to do so. Please wait while the app scans your disc. This can take a short time and appear to not detect the disc.

Windows DVD Player will begin playing the DVD. Use the player controls at the bottom of the window to pause, stop, play or fast forward, manage volume, manipulate the player window or access special settings.

If you want to skip the previews, hover your mouse pointed at the bottom region of the DVD Player window to activate the player controls. Click the more actions menu at the extreme end (...) then click Root menu

Click Play movie or similar action.

If you want to watch a video in full screen, click the full screen arrow listed among the player controls.

What if the DVD does not play?

Check to make sure your DVD Player is actually reading the DVD. Click File Explorer on the Taskbar or Start > File Explorer, open This PC and check to see if the DVD shows up.

If the disc is not recognized by Windows, try isolating the issue by trying another disc. If that disc does not work, check to make sure they are not scratched.

If the disc works in another computer, try the following:

1) Press Windows key + x and select Command Prompt(Admin)

2) Then, at the command prompt type the following ( you can copy and paste) and press "Enter":

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3) Restart the computer.

Please remember to exercise a little patience after inserting the DVD disc and launching the Windows DVD Player app.

Also remember you can try third party players such as VLC Player.

I am not hearing audio

Please review the following article for troubleshooting and managing audio:

How to Manage Audio Devices in Windows 10

I upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8, but I am not seeing the free Windows DVD Player app.

The Windows DVD Player app is only available for editions such as Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate. Editions such as Windows 8.0/8.1 Single Language or (Core), Windows 8.0/8.1 Pro without Media Center and Enterprise editions do not get the player for free. Use  VLC Player

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

Makes no sense to upgrade to Win 10 and learn there is no DVD player.  But the best part is the limited time to download the DVD player for free expired before the DL for Win 10.  Now we are forced to pay $15 for something we  had previously!

15 people found this comment helpful

·

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

This doesn't make any sense you upgrading to something of lesser value because they removed things that were working well. Now I going back to windows 8 no point in staying with wondows 10 I'm not paying 15 dollars for the app that's ridiculous

6 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

NOT NOT helpful!

I found a post from 2015 that was not helpful, Andre, and this is more of the same. I *still* cannot play DVDs that played before on Windows 7 on my same hardware that played it before with Windows 10. I got no free DVD app. I don't think I should pay *again* for something that worked before with Windows 7. Like DUH Microsoft! People want to play DVDs on their computers?!!

I have tried VLC media player. I have tried Leawo Blueray/DVD player. I have tried both running them in Compatibility mode with Windows 7 and 8. 

I still get the message: Insert a DVD, when the DVD is already inserted. I tried updating my DVD driver software; apparently it is up to date

NOTHING WORKS! This is just amazing BS that we can no longer play our DVDs that we paid money for on Windows 10.

What on earth is going on? Where is the solution to this issue?

Microsoft? What are you doing? I do not want to pay *again* for media/entertainment I already paid for just because your OS won't play it. 

Thanks for a resolution.... NOW!

Jenny Blaine

Annoyed Microsoft Customer

14 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

What about getting the update to the Windows DVD Player so it will work properly! Why will Microsoft not make available  the update to the Windows DVD player that they sell in the Windows Store?

2 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Andre is full of crap! There is an update to the Windows DVD Player to fix all of the problems. Getting it is another matter all together!

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't download this POS. It does not work and was a waste of money.

Sorry this didn't help.

Very appointing....I was given a computer for Chrismas....with windows 10 (why bother) it does notihing. I can write I can't listen to a cd I can't play a movie...I can do nothing with it with out buying apps what a scam.... You really should be ashamed of this product. My free phone from metro does far more than this HP computer with 10....even with no phone service the phone does more....extortion is the only word that comes to mind thank you

10 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have windows 10 dell computer.  there is a dvd drive.  how do I play a dvd movie?  I just inserted a movie and nothing is happening.

24 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have windows 10 dell computer.  there is a dvd drive.  how do I play a dvd movie?  I just inserted a movie and nothing is happening. How about presenting a solution so the DVD can be played on the Windows 10 program

Please provide the manner that a DVD can be played on windows 10 with detailed instructions.

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated April 9, 2024 Views 13,303 Applies to: