How to uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 3 completely

I uninstalled SP3 from my computer, now it doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs. but It is still there. When i right click the My Computer it still shows SP3. I followed the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249, but it did not help in removing it completely. I removed it through the software Revo uninstaller.

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2018 Views 29,682 Applies to:

Hi vimsam,

The reason why you still get Service pack information on My computer> Properties might be because there are still traces of service pack left behind and this can also be a result of using a third party tool which might not have uninstalled the service pack completely or rather successfully.

1)  What exactly do you mean by “but it did not help in removing it completely”?

2)  Did you get any error message or error code during the process?

I am quite sure that one of the methods in the article can definitely remove the Windows XP service pack 3 from your computer better than any third party tool or application.

Make sure you try all the methods listed in the article and get back to us if it still does not uninstall Service pack on the computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Varun J: MICROSOFT SUPPORT
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let us know what you think

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Varun,

Thanks for the Prompt answer. I have used third party tool to remove Service Pack 3 because, Add/Remove programs did not give me the option to uninstall. After i removed it using the tool. I checked the Add/Remove programs and SP3 was not displayed. I thought that it was removed but when i right clicked the My Computer, it still showing Windows XP Professional Service pack 3. And after reading the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249 article, I tried it
1) Method 1 did not work because it is no more displaying in Add/remove programs
2) Tried method 2 but it gave Run error message "c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst refers to location that is unavailable".It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.
3) Tried method 3, There were no restore points available.
4) Tried method 4, it did not work
cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst , it gave some message like not available

I tried all the 4 above methods but not successful in removing the SP3.
 Out of curiosity i searched for spuninst.exe file in my laptop C drive, It displayed so many application files of spuninst in below three locations.

C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\  (Ex: C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB873339)
C:\WINDOWS\ie8updates\
C:\WINDOWS\ie8\spuninst

This is the scenario, Is deleting all spuninst application files solves the problem or is there any other solution to remove SP3 completely . Your help is appreciated.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you restart the computer after uninstalling SP3?

Run any junk cleaner (eg., Ccleaner) or disk cleanup utility to delete unwanted files.

Cheers!
'Tis all a chequer board of nights and days,
Where destiny with men for pieces plays;
Hither and thither, and mates, and slays.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?! Life sucks! Get used to it!

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I have restarted the computer after the uninstall. I Cleaned up the junk files and registries with Revo uninstaller and Ace utilities, it still shows SP3. I doubt even if i reinstall the OS it may still show the SP3.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I uninstalled SP3 from my computer, now it doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs. but It is still there. When i right click the My Computer it still shows SP3...I removed it through the software Revo uninstaller.

May I ask why you uninstalled SP3?

Did you first uninstall SP3 via Add/Remove Programs or did you use Revo Uninstaller instead?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled SP3?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If you haven't tried a system restore yet that could work. Restore to a point before SP 3 was installed.
Flying Guillotine

Sorry this didn't help.

hi,

The reason for uninstall is it is not supporting some genuine softwares to install.  I have no hoice but to revert back to SP2. I had mcfaee before, i am no more using it. it was uninstalled long back. i have AVG now. i uninstalled that too. i have anti spywares lavasoft, malware bytes installed currently.

Sorry this didn't help.

I deleted the previous restore points.

Sorry this didn't help.

hi Varun,

Did you find any solution to fix this, Please include this scenario in installation testing and test cases or open a issue related to this.

thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

[1] The reason for uninstall is it is not supporting some genuine softwares to install.

[2] I had mcfaee before, i am no more using it. it was uninstalled long back. i have AVG now. i uninstalled that too. i have anti spywares lavasoft, malware bytes installed currently.

A1. Are these "genuine softwares" Microsoft applications?

A2. Did your McAfee free trial or subscription expire before you replace it with AVG?

Have you ever run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

When (approx. date) did you uninstall AVG?

Lavasoft Ad-Aware is not an anti-virus application nor is the free version of MalwareBytes AntiMalware (which provides no realtime protection).

Comment: I suspect you're seeing the effects of a hijackware infection.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.