How to uninstall Windows 10

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

For up to 10 days after you upgrade to Windows 10 (or up to 30 days if you installed an older version of Windows 10), you can choose to go back to your previous version of Windows using the “go back” feature in the recovery settings.  This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.  

This article provides a walkthrough and details for uninstalling Windows 10.

Details

Important:  Before attempting to use the “go back” feature to uninstall Windows 10, you’ll need to:

• Know the password you used to sign in to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (if you used one).

• Have the USB drive you used to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you used one).

• Back up any files you may have saved since upgrading to Windows 10 to an external drive or network location.  When you choose to go back to your previous operating system, it will remove any apps or drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.

• Remove any user accounts you added after upgrading to Windows 10

To go back to your previous version of Windows:

1. Open Settings and select Update & security.

2. Select the Recovery tab and then the "Get started" button under the "Go back" option.

Note: If more than 10 days have elapsed since you upgraded to Windows 10, the "Go back" option will be grayed out.  If you don't see a "Go back" option, please skip to the "I don't see a 'go back' option in Recovery settings" section at the end of this article. 

3. You'll then see a short questionnaire.  Please select one or more options to tell Microsoft the reason(s) why you're going back.  Click Next when you're ready to continue.

4. You'll then see a prompt to make sure you've installed the latest updates for Windows 10.

When you select Check for updates, it will launch Windows Update.  If this doesn't fix the problems you're having with Windows 10 and you still want to uninstall, you'll need to restart the "go back" process from the beginning of these steps.
    Select No, thanks when you're ready to continue.

5. You'll then see a few warnings.  Click Next through these screens to continue.

6. When you're ready, select Go back... to start the recovery process.

7. When completed, you will be returned to your previous version of Windows.  If you're returning to Windows 8.1, some apps that came Windows, like Mail and People, might not work anymore.  To fix them, reinstall the apps from the Store.

I don’t see a “go back” option in Recovery settings:

When you open the Recovery settings, you may not see a “go back” option.

This may occur if:

• The version of Windows 10 you have is earlier than version 1607 and more than a month has elapsed since you installed Windows 10.

• You reset your PC since you installed Windows 10.

• You performed a clean install of Windows 10.

• You are not running Windows 10 in an administrator account.

• You ran Disk Cleanup and chose to "Clean up system files" or chose to delete "Previous Windows installation(s)".

• You otherwise deleted either the C:\Windows.old or the C:\$Windows~bt folder.

If go back isn’t available:

• Check to see if you can restore your PC to factory settings. This will reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC and remove personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and any changes you made to settings.  Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings.

• If you have a product key for your previous version of Windows, use the media creation tool to create installation media for Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, and use it to do a clean install.  A clean install removes all your apps and personal files, so make sure you create a backup of any files you want to keep before performing the clean install.

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

Since the great Anniversary issue upgrade of Windows 10 build 1607, i have nothing but trouble with programs! Outlook and Adobe Lightroom won't load up......10 days to be able to restore to a previous version is way too short....really! 

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

The last paragraph should be at the start of the article for those who don`t like being filled with hope {that what they want is just around the bend} ... and what in the world is "..use the media creation tool to create installation media for.."???

Sorry this didn't help.

Only install Anniversary Upgrade if you want a computer which functions in a similar fashion to a 1990's computer such as the Sinclair.

It is unbelievable that such rubbish is being peddled in the 21st century

2 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an older laptop I use at home and Windows 10 killed it- this forced upgrade is CRAP and since I never use my password I can't remove this junk. Now I can only use it to stream Netflix. 10 days to work out the bugs is NOTHING. Thanks for nothing Microsoft.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I made my second attempt at upgrading to windows 10 and it is the second time where programs and applications stopped working correctly.  Not the end of the world, except now that I've tried to go back to windows 7, it's not re-installing correctly.  I could take the time to figure out what's up, but for the first time since I've had a computer I'm giving serious thought to looking at other options entirely.  What's more costly to me at this point... getting an entirely new set up and operating system, or taking the time recover damage done by a buggy Microsoft system?

If anyone has suggestions on resources or avenues to troubleshoot this mess I'd be much obliged.  I'm not thrilled about putting a ton of energy into researching the problem, but would like to avoid dumping money into a new system. I don't know where to go at Microsoft to address this issue with them directly.

Sorry this didn't help.

This operating system window's 10 is a collaborative operating system that crosses all platforms and is unsafe to operate in the general public and is a security risk in daily business operation. The mere fact that you have to go through so much to delete the Microsoft account proves this and the inability for Norton to be implemented. This coupled with the must have update to access web sites such as LinkedIn raises many questions as to the motive and or terms of the re-branded Windows Corporation

·

Sorry this didn't help.

wow, I really dislike your company right now, I apparently lost the ability to download on Napster (for offline listening, which I just bought because I didn't know any better. My previous version of 10 wasn't that great but I wouldn't have let this happen had I known what I would lose, no idea what else will go away, guess I'll find out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, Microsoft finally laid the PC to waste.  Congratulations on having a near monopoly....then Blowing it. R.i.P.  Hang on to Win 7 and shut your updates off!!. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 6,747 Applies to: