How to turn off parental controls? (no family safety option in control panel to turn it off?)

I've read through the advice to turn off parental controls and it said to turn it off through 'Family Safety' in the control panels. I don't have this however.

I never agreed to or set up parental controls but it has my mum's account as the adult as we set up my account when I was younger. This didn't affect my laptop when I first bought it however as it only used my new account but for some reason it has suddenly remembered my mum's account. Neither of us can sign into it though as the password we thought it was didn't work. Also can't seem to be able to recover the account. Please help.

Hello Nxtxliea,

The Family Options has been moved to the Windows Defender Security Center (Creators Update Required)

Clicking on View Family Settings eventually opens your browser for related family settings. Alternatively you can just go to account.microsoft.com/family and login using your mum's Microsoft Account 

Assuming your mum's account is a Microsoft account, your mum might have added your email as a child in her Microsoft Account and that's why it is remembered when you sign in into your computer with the email your mum has added.

The only problem assuming if i read correctly is that you can't login into your mum's account

If so, try to reset the password assuming there was recovery options added into your mum's account here:
https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx

Try checking any related settings here also

More information on Family Options in Windows 10: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10551/microsoft-account-set-up-family-after-upgrade

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your help but we can't seem to recover the account in order to reset the password. It says we haven't provided enough information but have filled out all the boxes each time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you might need to call Microsoft to get the account recovered because i don't actually work for Microsoft. This community is contributed by anyone so the above steps I provided is the best i could think of.

The best i would before calling is trying 2 out of 3 options provided if you haven't try all of them
1) I forgot my password option 

2) I know my password but can't sign in option. (Based on your situation, you might have already try this so use option 1)

In my situation, I can easily recover because i have done related backup settings in case of losing access to my account

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, we will give that a go, thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2024 Views 2,200 Applies to: