how to stop windows from constantly changing my settings

I don't know if it is from updates or what but every week it seems I have to spend time to keep my windows experience usable
currently suddenly I can't disable my trackpad while using my mouse. Earlier I changed the search bar from opening internet explorer with bing to chrome and google, the way I WANT it. Since then MS has found a way to make it THEIR way. 

Hi,

Windows 10 periodically checks for updates so you don’t have to do anything to get the latest Windows 10 updates. When an update is available, it’s automatically downloaded and installed – keeping your PC up to date with the latest features and settings. You can take some control over this and have Windows 10 install updates on your schedule.

I suggest you try the below method in the link and check if it helps

Hope the above information was helpful, if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi!

Is sync my settings enabled? Microsoft Account!

Hi!
A Microsoft support engineer will be with you shortly. Stay online your next.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ashwin, I too have a similar problem. My problem is that Windows constantly changes my language settings, and it occasionally changes my time and date and power settings. This is very annoying and I don't believe turning off automatic updates will stop it. This should not happen - my settings are MY settings and I don't like Windows high-handedly changing MY settings. I am becoming more and more dissatisfied with Microsoft and Windows and their dictatorial attitude to their users, so much so that I have already changed to Linux on one of my machines am seriously considering changing my others. MS and Windows are becoming too intrusive and dictatorial.

110 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agreed, and it looks like Ashwin never answered to the original question posted by juntjoo
Q: how to stop windows from constantly changing my settings
I have been experiencing my display setting has been changing on me everyday.  I have tried searching through the web to stop windows from doing that and there were no answers.  I tried looking into settings and the option to change is very lacking.  So I ended up doing a system restore to an earlier time.  I did this 5 times already.  We customize our computer and other devices to the way we want them to operate.  It has nothing to do with updates.  If Microsoft choose to ignore users' complaints and giving answers that are irrelevant to the question, sooner or later I will be joining others and quit using windows.

80 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem still exists. In the last couple of weeks I have had to reset all my sharing settings after updates. I am starting to believe that MS have no intention to resolve this problem, and their intention is to make us have what THEY want. I don't
have these problems on my Linux machine. The only reply from MS on this doesn't address the issue, all it does is basically tell you to turn off automatic updates. They need to understand that OUR settings are just that - OUR settings, the way WE want them.

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You missed the point - of course people want the updates - but they change personal settings

Microsoft controls my computer. Constantly nagging me to organise my work the way they tell me to - and now deciding to change personal settings - regardless of what I - the customer - the person who BOUGHT the system - wants.  Microsoft has a shocking disregard for its customers. 

62 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As it seems to be staff here does not want to give answers on asked questions in detail (see answers below like 'this will temporary blabla') - here is the answer howto prevent:

1. Click the Start button.

2. Click Control Panel .
  3. Click System and Maintenance .

4. Click Administrative Tools .

5. Double-click Task Scheduler .

Open Taskplanning/Microsoft/Windows. Here you might check every planned task if interested...

For our problem here check 'UpdateOrchestrator' and for example deactivate 'Reboot' or any other planned task you do not like.

Especially 'WindowsUpdate' - here I deactivated 'Automatic App Update' and 'Scheduled Start'.

Additionally deactivate services (and their actions on errors) like 'WindowsUpdate', 'WindowsModuleInstaller' and 'Transfer-optimization'.

My Opinion:

It is not acceptable, if an operating system vendor makes changes on your system without asking you.

Or would you accept it if your car dealers passes your house and removes a tire from your car because he can do it ?!?

65 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Me Too

To summarize

1.  I want automatic updates

2.  I do not want ANY settings changed (word, excel, outlook, windows)

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

+1

I just discovered that the Fall update changed som Power Options back to default:

Turn on fast startup (I have this disabled - it was re-enabled)

Sleep (same deal)

Hibernate (same deal)

Lock (same deal)

On every major update some things change back to their defaults.

I understand this regarding new features, but whenever there's a major update, I have to go through Windows settings to check if anything has changed. This time, Fast Startup slipped by.

On the first few occasions this happended (i.e. major updates), I thought I inadvertently had configured some settings in a way I didn't intend.
Then I thought it must be some fluke accidents - and then I finally realized, that it was the major updates that caused some settings (I really don't see any pattern - except for the changing of default programs) to revert to their defaults.

By now, this just makes me plain angry! WTF!
I make my settings for a reason - don't change them unless absolutely necessary!

I'm a sound engineer and use my computers for professional audio applications.
It has happended that this reverting to default behaviour made my software freeze on the job.

How do I explain to an artist that - well, in the middle of your show, the reason there suddenly was no sound from the main speakers was because I closed the lid on my laptop (which I have set to do NOTHING under Power Options) and it went into hibernation - because I didn't realize that a major windows update had changed the setting for closing the lid back to default?

Well, you don't.
You start wondering about alternatives to Windows (which, incidentally, actually is my preferred OS).

60 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2021 Views 10,755 Applies to: