How to stop auto-login in Windows 10 Home with last user and let me choose the account as it was in Windows 7 Home?

In Windows 7 Home I had 3 (local) accounts:

• me (admin with password)
  • wife (normal user with password)
  • son (normal user without password)

When I started the PC the account page with these 3 accounts have been shown.

My son (6) can choose the account and needn't enter a password. Me and my wife have to enter a password. EASY & SECURE TO USE. :)

After upgrading to Windows 10 Home with local accounts:

When I login with the account of my son and turn off/on the PC I don't see the account page anymore to choose one of these 3 local accounts. Windows 10 did an auto-login under the account of my son. ???

I logged out of the account of my son (account page will be shown) and rebooted the PC. Although I logged out, Windows 10 automatically logs in AGAIN with the account of my son. Argh! An extra step (logout of the account of my son) if another person like me wants to use the PC?

I logged out of the account of my son and logged in with my admin account. With or without log off I restarted the PC and the account page will be shown and I have to enter the password. This works so far.

How can I avoid the auto-login to the account of my son when he was the last user who has used the PC?

Note: I don't want to give him a password: I want the same easy-to-use user-friendly-family functionality for our son as it was under Windows 7!

I've looked around and found other threads by frustrated users but without a final solution.

Microsoft forces me to update from Windows 7 to 10 on my other PC so it must be better and easier to use, or isn't it? I can't find a solution or menu under Windows 10.

Thanks a lot for helping!

Hi Robert,  

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue. 

I would like to inform you that this issue might occur due to user account settings.
Let’s try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to check the auto login settings.

a.    Press Windows Key + R and type Regedit.exe box.

b.    Scroll to: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

c.    Add a value for: DontDisplayLastUserName

d.    Type: REG_SZ

e.    Value: 0

f.     The value DontDisplayLastUserName determines whether the logon dialog box displays the username of the last user that logged onto the PC.

g.    The value does not exist by default. If it exists, you must set it to 0 or the value of DefaultUser will be wiped and autologon will fail.

Registry Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry.

Method 2:

Let’s try to change the local security settings.

a.    Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type secpol.msc, and press Enter.

b.    In the left pane, double click/tap on Local Policies to expand it, and click/tap on Security Options to open it.

c.    In the right pane, double click/tap on Interactive logon: Do not display last user name.

d.    To Sign in to Windows 8 with Password Only, Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap OK.

e.    Close the Local Security Policy Window, restart the computer and check if it helps.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, both methods don't work.

Method 1:

I added "DontDisplayLastUserName" with value 0, restarted PC, logged out under my admin user, logged in as my son, shutdown PC, started PC, auto-login as my son happened.

I'm awaiting an option like "DontAutoLoginLastUserWhenHasNoPassword" = 1 (on).

Method 2:

I'm using Windows 10 Home - secpol.msc is not installed - and if - "Password Only" sign-in is NOT that what I want for my son.

I don't understand that someone from MS support does not try to test this problem on a test PC. Instead of that I should try something around. The problem is described very clear above to re-test. :(

My 2nd son also has his own local account without a password.

Now when son #2 starts the PC he will be auto-login with the last user who was son #1.

I will waiting for the correct registry entry or Windows 10 fix. THANKS

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your problem is very clear and concise.  It amazes me that the "technical" support gave you directions that A) don't work and B) were for a different version.   I have the same issue, I see lots replies from "technical" support to this question and none of them have a valid fix.  I'm using technical in a very broad sense.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After over a year of waiting for this to be fixed by Microsoft I finally discovered a solution that works:

http://superuser.com/a/953898

Hope you find it helpful, too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me:

https://superuser.com/questions/952868/can-i-disable-auto-logon-on-windows-10-home

The instructions are clear and concise and should work if carefully followed.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 25, 2023 Views 9,616 Applies to: