How to still get Freelancer ?

I have been a long fan of Starlancer, I never had the actual official version but i could play it at my friend's place.

To make a long story short, after some years, other friends and a new PC, i find myself without the game completely.

I have found out that the game is as good as nowhere to be found anymore, allthough remembering the communities of freelancer (that are still there up to this day)
and that it still is one of the best freeroaming-spacesim action-shooter up till this day.

Local game- / PC-shops don't have it (not even 2handed).

The site "good old games", programs like "steam" or "origin" all can't get some sort of agreement / certificate / license / or whatever to sell this game

And i recently found out that its not even enlisted in ur own Windows catalog of games, yet i have found old links
to ur catalog regarding freelancer that identify it was once there.

May i ask then from you, what does it take to be able to buy/get the official game ? It was made by Digital Anvil wich was bought / taken over by Microsoft.

Is there a way via Microsoft or other ways to get my hands on the game ?

Would really love to actually have it (i'm sure all the previous lines indicate the effort / research)

Hope i can get a positive answer / feedback

Thanks in advance

P.S.: sorry if i've put it on the wrong forum, had virtually no idea where else i should have put this

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

HI,

Please refer to the links mentioned below.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/

How and when to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295539

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

erm, not sure if u've checked it yourself, but that site, is not only easy to find (I'm familiar with it), it also holds 3 links to purchase Freelancer

1) shop.microsoft.com => at the microsft catalog, the game is nowhere to be found

2) Gamestop => "The page you are looking for has been eliminated" "Uh oh! you 404'd"

3) EB Games => "The page you are looking for has been eliminated" "Uh oh! you 404'd"

So, aint that helpfull.

I have heard from other forums that the only available option may be to resort to ebay / amazon, and just hope someone is selling a cd in good condition.

but my question remains, has Microsoft rlly eliminated Freelancer in many ways via its own sites / resources ?

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

erm, not sure if u've checked it yourself, but that site, is not only easy to find (I'm familiar with it), it also holds 3 links to purchase Freelancer

1) shop.microsoft.com => at the microsft catalog, the game is nowhere to be found

2) Gamestop => "The page you are looking for has been eliminated" "Uh oh! you 404'd"

3) EB Games => "The page you are looking for has been eliminated" "Uh oh! you 404'd"

So, aint that helpfull.

I have heard from other forums that the only available option may be to resort to ebay / amazon, and just hope someone is selling a cd in good condition.

but my question remains, has Microsoft rlly eliminated Freelancer in many ways via its own sites / resources ?

WEll it's been almost two years since  the guy posed the question.
Think you fellas at MS can find it in your schedule to put an answer up?
I only ask because i enjoy playing Freelancer, and was looking for more information.
Good game , you guys at MS game studios & Digital Anvil did a great job with the game, Then you abandoned the people that enjoyed playing it and shut down the Global Server. Guess a multi-billion dollar company just couldn't afford to keep a $129.00 a month server going, to much overhead?

I challenge Microsoft to respond with something other than their standard reply ; "Please go to www.microsoft.com/wedontcare/changethread/mybossisouttolunch"

126 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Heya Kawffee, I had completely fergotten about this post, because i'm no longer surprised by inactivity or unresponsive costumer supports of ANY big company.

I was lucky to find a british shop that was still selling Freelancer over ebay, so i purchased it and it was shipped over. I'm very happy with the game and the quality. 

And yes for big company's its way over the head to keep a server up on something that isn't (that) profitable. Whatever the costumers may say/think/complain. Its all about the money, nothing more, nothing less. Ugly truth, but still the truth. 

This is happening everywhere, with any big company regardless of the product. 

PS: Just take a look at "EA" that won "Golden Poo" twice in a row, and from personal experience, well **** deserved. (excuse my language)

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Michael, Your time spent in responding is appreciated. You proved me both wrong and right. Enjoy the game . Beat it several times before changing the prices on goods in the files. Star Citizen will be coming out in the fall this year . Looks to be a **** of a game, but i gotta update my processor and VG cards. It is funded by ordinary people not a giant corperation (so sayeth the devs ) Freelancer may die but i wasted many hours and braincells to it without regret. Stay Frosty! Thanks again for taking the time to reply to a guy 1/2 **** flaming in a forum K.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I picked up Freelancer for $15 shipped at Bananzathon.com:

http://www.bananzathon.com/mcrosftfreelncrpc.html

Order came in 3 days.  This company sells them on eBay (seller id SWSOLUTIONS) as well, they had it priced higher presumably to cover eBay's exorbitant fees.  Their feedback rating on eBay was nearly perfect at 99.9% positive and 15 years of selling experience.

Although Microsoft doesn't operate the online servers anymore, there are dozens of dedicated and safe servers out there still. Just do a web search for active freelancer servers.

Good Luck!

KD

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

goto the lancers reactor there they have all the mods the files to find every freelancer server running no matter what version you want to use star trek / star wars etc etc i used to run the server but closed down many years ago so go there and forfil your every dream    

http://www.lancersreactor.com/

also try           http://the-starport.net/

Dazzla99

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Once upon a time Office Max had the game on their $5 shelf, I bought as many copies as I could find.  After giving so many of them away, my all time favorite game, I'm still hoarding a half dozen copies.

Check out Jason's Freelancer Patch, it's possible/awesome to play it across three monitors.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I still want freelancer back!

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Keep an eye on the development of Star Citizen.  It's made by Chris Roberts, the same guy that made Freelancer and the Wing Commander series.  It's in early alpha now, you can play what they have finished if you pledge for the game.  $45 will get you Star Citizen and alpha access.  $60 will get you Star Citizen and Squadron 42, which will be a single player military campaign game similar to the Wing Commander series.  You can pledge more money to game development if you wish and get additional ships to start with, but it's not necessary.   You will be able to get all the ships in game with in game currency.

S42 will hopefully be out by the end of this year, though no promises.  Star Citizen is likely at least 2 years from release, but development is starting to speed up as the tools they created to build the game come online.  The game currently has over $144 Million in crowd funding, the largest crowd funding project ever, by far.  It is the most ambitious game ever created, the things they have planned are staggering. 

If you decide to pick up the game, use STAR-632J-VJJW in the referral code.  It will get you 5000 additional in game credits when the game goes live.

Found this thread because I was looking for my Freelancer disk to play it again and couldn't find it.  I just moved, I know it's in a box around here somewhere...

Hope to see you in the 'verse

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2022 Views 72,876 Applies to: