How to set default user login in Vista?

I have multiple users in my Vista system, everyone has a password. I would like to set a default user at the startup screen to log in.
I tried with regedit and "DefaultUsername" but after restart I get an error "wrong password", so this option works only with a user that has no password set. Can you tell me how to get this working to get automatically the logon screen with the default user just to type in the password. 
Thanks in advance

This program might help you

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963905

As far as I know, if you want to logon automatically, there is no way of getting the system to pause and ask you for a password.

A way to work around this is to set up a command in the Start Up folder to lock the system immediately after logon. You then have to enter the password to use the account.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/automatically-log-in-to-vista-and-still-be-password-protected/599

This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

edit: you´ve edited your post at the same time i responded to it ;)

thank you but that is too much ;) This tool does the same as the registy entry "DefaultUsername"+"DefaultPassword" i guess.

I mean i dont want to keep my password saved because its a notebook and I use it often in public places like university etc and I dont want to let everyone get access when I leave the notebook alone for a few minutes. 

At the moment I get a login screen with all users to choose which I like too log in.

With registry edit I get the autologin option with the right user, but as I use a password for the login, the system gives an error because I have not provided my password. So I need only an option to tell the system at startup to show only the default user at login screen and let me type in the password.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know any way to do that. Wouldn't that mean that the only way to use the non-default accounts would be to logon to the default user and then switch users?

I believe that  DefaultPassword is encrypted so that it can't just be read from the Registry by a bypasser.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

no, because every loginscreen (with more users) has a button to let you switch users.

I dont think its encrypted in the registy but thats not the problem with saved passwords. My problem is that everybody who is physically present can just restart my computer and will automatically be logged into my system if I save the password in the registry. 
Thats why I only want the option to directly get to the default user login screen without autologin.

It should be possible because the standard logon screen lets me first choose the user I want to logon and after it forwards me to a seperate login screen of this user. So I´m sure there must be a tweak...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Autologon program from Windows Sysinternals claims to encrypt the username and password. You could combine it with the automatic locking at startup.

I don't think it can be accomplished with just registry settings. It's going to need some programming.

There is a commercial program available, which may meet your requirements.

http://www.logonexpert.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 25, 2020 Views 1,706 Applies to: