How to retrieve product key for Windows 8.1?

Hi everybody, I'm trying to reinstall windows 8.1 as all of my user accounts are corrupted and any new one I create is corrupted too. What I'm trying to to is find my Windows 8.1 key, which I have lost. Also, I built my PC, so I am the manufacturer of my PC. thanks

If you have lost the packaging for the product, they you cannot get the key from there.

Try this, if your PC is bootable.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-recover-windows-78-1-product-key-without-using-third-party-tools/

How To Recover Windows 7/8.1 Product Key Without Using Third-Party Tools

admin Updated on Sep 26th, 2013

There are times when you may want to recover your Windows product key from a working Windows installation, whether to back up the product key before beginning to install a newer version of Windows, or to reinstall existing version of Windows operating system.

The standard or the popular way of retrieving Windows product key is to use a third-party software such as License Crawler or use a free Windows product key recovery CD to recover the product key from unbootable PCs.

While there are plenty of free tools available for this job, the fact is that one can recover Windows product key from registry without having to use third-party tools.

Out friend at WinAero has posted a helpful guide on recovering Windows product key without using third-party tools. The only thing is that your PC must be bootable to recover the product key using this method. And if your PC is unbootable, follow our how to recover Windows 7/8/8/8.1 product key from unbootable PC guide.

NOTE: This method works in all recent versions of Windows, including Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1.

Step 1: Copy the following code and paste it into Notepad. Save the file as RecoverKey.ps1 on your desktop. Note that it’s important to save the file with .ps1 extension.

function Get-WindowsKey {
## function to retrieve the Windows Product Key from any PC
## by Jakob Bindslet (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)
param ($targets = “.”)
$hklm = 2147483650
$regPath = “Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion”
$regValue = “DigitalProductId”
Foreach ($target in $targets) {
$productKey = $null
$win32os = $null
$wmi = [WMIClass]”\\$target\root\default:stdRegProv”
$data = $wmi.GetBinaryValue($hklm,$regPath,$regValue)
$binArray = ($data.uValue)[52..66]
$charsArray = “B”,”C”,”D”,”F”,”G”,”H”,”J”,”K”,”M”,”P”,”Q”,”R”,”T”,”V”,”W”,”X”,”Y”,”2″,”3″,”4″,”6″,”7″,”8″,”9″
## decrypt base24 encoded binary data
For ($i = 24; $i -ge 0; $i–) {
$k = 0
For ($j = 14; $j -ge 0; $j–) {
$k = $k * 256 -bxor $binArray[$j]
$binArray[$j] = [math]::truncate($k / 24)
$k = $k % 24
}
$productKey = $charsArray[$k] + $productKey
If (($i % 5 -eq 0) -and ($i -ne 0)) {
$productKey = “-” + $productKey
}
}
$win32os = Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem -computer $target
$obj = New-Object Object
$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty Computer -value $target
$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty Caption -value $win32os.Caption
$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty CSDVersion -value $win32os.CSDVersion
$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty OSArch -value $win32os.OSArchitecture
$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty BuildNumber -value $win32os.BuildNumber
$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty RegisteredTo -value $win32os.RegisteredUser
$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty ProductID -value $win32os.SerialNumber
$obj | Add-Member Noteproperty ProductKey -value $productkey
$obj
}
}

Step 2: Open Windows PowerShell as administrator. To do this, you can type Windows PowerShell in the Start menu (Windows 7) or Start screen (Windows 8/8.1), and then simultaneously press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.

Alternatively, you can right-click on the Windows 8.1 Start button and then click Windows PowerShell (Admin) to launch PowerShell as administrator.

Click on the Yes button when you see the User Account Control (UAC) dialog.

Step 3: In the PowerShell window, type the following code (or you can simply copy and paste) and press Enter key to change the execution policy for non-signed scripts.

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Click Enter key or ‘Y’ key when you see “Do you want to change the execution policy” message.

Step 4: Finally, type the following command and then press Enter key to view your Windows product key. That’s it!

Import-Module C:\Users\PC\Desktop\RecoverKey.ps1; Get-WindowsKey

In the above command, replace “C:\Users\PC\Desktop\RecoverKey.ps1” with the path to the previously saved RecoverKey.ps1 file. To easily get the path, press and hold down the Shift key, right-click on RecoverKey.ps1 file, and then click Copy as path option.

If it is not bootable, you will have to use a third party tool.

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-recover-your-lost-windows-7-or-windows-8-product-key

How to Recover Your Lost Windows 7 or Windows 8 Product Key

If you have lost your Windows 7 or Windows 8 license key, you can still recover it from the computer or device where it is installed. Many programs were developed for recovering Windows 7 product keys but not that many work on Windows 8. That’s why I decided to test a couple of programs, identify those that work also with Windows 8 and share them with you. You never know when you need to recover your lost license key.

NOTE: Some of the programs that were tested in this roundup promise to also recover the license key for other products except Windows (e.g. Microsoft Office). I have a legal Microsoft Office 2013 installation and no program was able to read my product key. All of them seem to support only Microsoft Office 2010 and earlier versions. From this perspective, all of them need an upgrade.

Recovering Your Windows Product Key with Belarc Advisor 8.3b

Belarc Advisor 8.3b is a free program that you download and install on your computer. It doesn’t just show your Windows license key but also builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, network inventory, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status and security benchmarks.

When you run it, it spends quite a while analyzing the local network of your computer or device.

When done, the results are shown in a local web page. There is lots of information being shown and you might be lost at first.

If you look carefully, you’ll find a Software Licenses link on the right, which takes you to the section with the same name. There you will find several software licenses, including the one for your Windows installation.

This program works well but it spends more time to load the data you require because it looks for much more data than other programs. If you just want to learn your Windows product key, other programs are faster and better.

Recovering Your Windows Product Key with Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 2.0

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 2.0 has a very weird name but it is a free program that works. When installing it, pay attention though, as it also tries to install a free game you might not want.

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 2.0 has a very simple interface and shows the information you are interested in quite fast.

Browse through the available sections, find the data you need and use it. This program is fast and it works quite well. Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 2.0 is also able to display the product key for Microsoft Office, up to version 2010.

Recovering Your Windows Product Key with ProduKey v1.56

ProduKey v1.56 is a small utility that displays the ProductID and the CD-Key of Microsoft Office (only up to version 2007), Windows, Exchange Server, and SQL Server installed on your computer.

You download its archive, extract it and run ProduKey.exe. The program launches instantly and displays the appropriate product key information.

It is small, free, fast and easy to use. Highly recommended!

Recovering Your Windows Product Key with LicenseCrawler 1.28

LicenseCrawler 1.28 is a program free for personal use. Download its archive, extract it and run LicenseCrawler.exe.

When you run the program for the first time, you need to select the language you want to use and go through several prompts until you get to use it, including some annoying commercials.

LicenseCrawler is quite technical and, in order to find your Windows product key, you need to select your computer and press Start Search. Then, it takes a couple of minutes to scan your entire registry and display all the product key information it finds.

With LicenseCrawler you can find your Windows product key as well as the keys for other products installed on your computer, if such information is stored in the Windows registry.

Even though this product works well, novices and casual users will find it too technical and hard to use.

Which Programs are Best?

All the programs presented in this roundup work well at finding your Windows product key. Some may even find the product key of the different programs installed on your computer, including Microsoft Office. However, if all you need is a fast method for reading your Windows 7 or Windows 8 license key, I recommend you to try ProduKey v1.56 and Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 2.0.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks - this was really helpful, but I did have two small problems with it:

1. When the script is copied and pasted as described here, it gets a couple of syntax errors (at least when copied from IE):
    • Some double-quotes are replaced by '?' (in addition, the double-quotes are not the basic ASCII / typewriter form, but come in left and right versions. I do not know if it mattered, but I replaced them all with simple non-directional double quotes ( " ).)
    • The '--' operator in the 'for' expressions is replaced by a single '-'.
  2. You instruct the administrator to change (and probably weaken) the security policy, in order to load and run the script, but not to restore it afterwards, or to use Get-ExecutionPolicy to make note of what it was initially. If you do Set-ExecutionPolicy  RemoteSigned -scope Process, the change will apply only while the current shell process is running, and only within that shell.; see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849812.aspx .)

This is the function definition - it may be easier to copy it accurately from here (note that the line beginning '$charsArray =' has been wrapped onto three lines in this post; however, when I tried copying it from this post, it pasted correctly as a single line.)

function Get-WindowsKey {
 ## function to retrieve the Windows Product Key from any PC
 ## by Jakob Bindslet (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)
 param ($targets = ".")
 $hklm = 2147483650
 $regPath = "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion"
$regValue = "DigitalProductId"
Foreach ($target in $targets) {
 $productKey = $null
 $win32os = $null
 $wmi = [WMIClass]"\\$target\root\default:stdRegProv"
$data = $wmi.GetBinaryValue($hklm,$regPath,$regValue)
 $binArray = ($data.uValue)[52..66]
 $charsArray = "B","C","D","F","G","H","J","K","M","P","Q","R","T","V","W","X","Y","2","3","4","6","7","8","9"
 ## decrypt base24 encoded binary data
 For ($i = 24; $i -ge 0; $i--) {
 $k = 0
 For ($j = 14; $j -ge 0; $j--) {
 $k = $k * 256 -bxor $binArray[$j]
 $binArray[$j] = [math]::truncate($k / 24)
 $k = $k % 24
 }
 $productKey = $charsArray[$k] + $productKey
 If (($i % 5 -eq 0) -and ($i -ne 0)) {
 $productKey = "-" + $productKey
 }
 }
 $win32os = Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem -computer $target
 $obj = New-Object Object
 $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty Computer -value $target
 $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty Caption -value $win32os.Caption
 $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty CSDVersion -value $win32os.CSDVersion
 $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty OSArch -value $win32os.OSArchitecture
 $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty BuildNumber -value $win32os.BuildNumber
 $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty RegisteredTo -value $win32os.RegisteredUser
 $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty ProductID -value $win32os.SerialNumber
 $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty ProductKey -value $productkey
 $obj
 }
 }

38 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

is it necessary for my pc to be potable?

my pc says in red sentences that:-

Import-Module : The specified module 'C:\Users\PC\Desktop\RecoverKey.ps1' was not loaded because no valid module file
was found in any module directory.
At line:1 char:1
+ Import-Module C:\Users\PC\Desktop\RecoverKey.ps1; Get-WindowsKey
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (C:\Users\PC\Desktop\RecoverKey.ps1:String) [Import-Module], FileNo
   tFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Get-WindowsKey : The term 'Get-WindowsKey' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
again.
At line:1 char:51
+ Import-Module C:\Users\PC\Desktop\RecoverKey.ps1; Get-WindowsKey
+                                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-WindowsKey:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

i do not know what does this mean, but it is written that:-'get-windows key' is not recognised.

after completion of the final step

please help me please!

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 7, 2024 Views 71,137 Applies to: