How to repair wsock32.dll when an oridinal is missing?

My Windows XP SP3 system recently contracted one of those nasty pieces of malware that hijacks your entire pc .. browsers etc and says you have to purchase their software to remove the virus

Luckly I had both Spybot resident .. and McAfee Endpoint Protection enabled .. so it didnt go far ...

Unfortunately .. it did seem to do some damage to my wsock32.dll ... and here is where I am seeking help

Now when I attempt to scan a file .. or the entire system for virus' I receive the following error:

SCAN32.EXE - Ordinal not found .... The ordinal 1112 could not be located in the dynamic link library WSOCK32.dll

I have attempted to repair this using several methods including uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee EPP

Most recent attempt

1) Removed all McAfee software via Add Remove Programs (plus some internal tricks)

2) Attempted to remove \Program Files\McAfee in explorer.exe

Several files in this directory could not be deleted as they were in use

3) Booted safeboot with command prompt

4) Installed a new wsock32.dll from a previous backup

5) deleted all files under \Program Files\McAfee

6) Rebooted

7) Reinstalled McAfee Endpoint 4.5.0.1852

8) Noted that the McAfee options for

Scan computer for
Manage Features
Quick settings

Were missing

9) Rebooted

10) Checked options ... still missing

11) Checked \Program Files\VirusScan Enterprise for presence of scan32.exe .. it was present

12) Executed \Program Files\VirusScan Enterprise\scan32.exe and received

scan32.exe Ordinal not found

The Ordinal 1112 could not be located in the dynamic link library WSOCK32.dll

13) Ran sfc /scan now with my original install disk which ran to completion

14) Noted that the options

Scan computer for
Manage Features
Quick settings

Had returned .. but hwn Scan computer for ... is run ... received

scan32.exe Ordinal not found

The Ordinal 1112 could not be located in the dynamic link library WSOCK32.dll

Any suggestions?

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Follow these methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to download and run the latest Microsoft Safety Scanner on your computer and check if it helps:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to install the latest Microsoft Security Essential antivirus program on the computer and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/security-essentials

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to run check disk and then try running SFC scan and check if it helps.

Step 1:

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

Step 2:

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2023 Views 25,802 Applies to: