I am running the latest version of XP SP3

I am getting the error DBGHELP.dll is not found

I have tried the repairing by inserting my (Old) Windows XP CD - 2007,

Opening a command prompt and running sfc /scannow

This did not help as it installed an old version of DBGHELP.dll

and this has been updated and changed many times. The Microsoft

web site even stated this

I did find one fix but it looks like it is not designed to work for XP

See   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms679294(v=vs.85).aspx

I can't get a straight answer on how to replace/repair DBGHELP.dll

and i am sure that repairing this will inclure a few other files

I see that there are sites where you can download this .dll but I have

seen many warnings against doing this

There should be a way i can obtain this file/these files and download

then to the correct windows directory

Thank you for your help as I am really in a bind

Mike

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

When do you see this message?

How do you think the file came up missing?  It is one of the 3498 files that Windows File Protection looks after so it should never be missing and would take extra effort to delete it on purpose.

I can assure you with 100% certainty that running sfc /scannow will not replace a missing or corrupt dbghelp.dll file in the system32 folder.  That is not what sfc /scannow does, that is not how it works and that is not what it is for.  Sorry, Microsoft engaged Support Engineer "experts".

How can I be so sure sfc /scannow will not help?  I recreated the problem and I tested it.

This is not anywhere in my notes, so that usually means I have never seen it before, but there is a copy of the Windows XP SP3 file on my SkyDrive, so I must have put it there for somebody...

The link is right - if you are using the Windows Debugging Tools, it uses its own version of dbghelp.dll which is not the same as the default one for XP.  If you need that one, I have that too.

There is a copy of the general purpose XP SP3 file on my SkyDrive you can download - here's how:

I uploaded a copy of the XP Pro SP3 file you need to my SkyDrive (everybody has a SkyDrive for sharing files).

Here is the link to my SkyDrive and you can look for the file you need there:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6a7e789cab1d6f39&id=6A7E789CAB1D6F39!311

You can download it and when you do, put a copy of the file in these folders (assuming Windows is installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\system32
c:\windows\system32\dllcache    (that is where XP keeps backup copies of important files).

When you see the files available for download, you may not see the file extension (.exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.), but when you download them they will have the correct extension.

When you download the file (especially if you use Internet Explorer), when you get a chance to save the file, your browser may not save the file with an extension (like .exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.) so you will have to manually add the proper extension to the file when you download the file before you save it.

You can download the file with no extension and then rename the file to add the proper extension.  You don't want to try to use a file called dbghelp when the file name really needs to be called dbghelp.dll (if the downloaded file has no extension you will have to change the name of the file to add the proper extension to get it to work.

You then need to copy/paste the downloaded file in the correct folder(s) on your system.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

14 people were helped by this reply

Thank you this was exactly the help I needed.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Good job!

Take the rest of the day off.

Sorry this didn't help.

I went to look for this but got the message 'this item no longer exists'. Can you help please.

Dave

Sorry this didn't help.

They whacked my SkyDrive and don't know where to find it, so I started using their OneDrive.

Take a look out here for dbghelp.dll:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=EC673DF6F8DFEE84&id=EC673DF6F8DFEE84!109&authkey=!AEMs5lwt9Todokc

Please let me know if you are able to get the file or not...

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I found the file, copied it to my desktop then to c:\windows\system32. There was no\dllcache folder. I then tried to reinstall the software and got the same missing file result. Am I doing something wrong?

Dave

Sorry this didn't help.

Take a look in the c:\windows\system32 folder to be sure the file is really there.

You probably do have/should have a dllcache folder but it is hidden (for your protection of course). 

In Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, View and enable "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types" then you should be able to see the

c:\windows\system32\dllcache folder.  You can undo these adjustments later if it is your desire.

You can also click Start, Run and in the box enter:

c:\windows\system32\dllcache

Click OK and the dllcache folder should appear.

The dllcache folder is where XP keeps backup copies of important system files.  If one of these important files ever comes up missing, Windows File Protection will attempt to quickly and silently replace it using the copy found in the dllcache folder.

Being one of the looked after and protected files, the dbghelp.dll file should never be missing from your system, so if your dbghelp.dll file is missing from your system it was probably quarantined (effectively deleted) by your unspecified antivirus/antimalware software.

Unfortunately, nobody knows what software you are trying to install.  That's what happens sometimes when you tack onto the back end of an already answered topic instead of creating a new topic (nobody knows what is going on).

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks my friends! You save my day with this. I could start and archive app in a Windows XP laptop. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Good job!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Windows 7 and unable to connect to the internet as a result. I get the dgbhelp.dll error. What do I do?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 12,616 Last updated: July 14, 2018 Applies to: