How to repair : C:\Program and Files\.....\System 32 rundll32.exe. Message : "C:\Programs and Files\....\System 32 rundll 32.exe, is not a valid Wins 32 application"

My computer Windows XP- 32 bits, home version, server Windows 2000, runing Windows XP - SP 3, keeps coming out with this message in any program, application etc... that i try. How to restore this in my computer? Thanks. Kind regards. Daniel.
Answer
Answer

Hi,

As I understand you are facing issue with the system32 rundll32.exe file. I would like to know more information about the issue, so that we could help you better.

1.       Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

2.       Did the issue started recently?

Let us try the following methods and check if it works for you.

Method 1:

It seems that the file association of the programs is broken or corrupted. You may follow these steps & check if the issue persists.

a.       Click Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Themes.

b.      Select Folder Options > File Types tab. Look under ‘Registered file types’ to find the file extension whose file association you'd like to change.

c.       Select Change. Navigate the Recommended Programs and Other Programs lists to find the program you wish to associate with the file. If it isn't there, click Browse. Navigate to the correct program and click Open.

d.      Select the check box beside "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Click OK.

Refer: How to change or select which program starts when you double-click a file in Windows XP

Method 2

You may also follow the steps suggested by ‘Lisa Support Engineer’ on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:17 PM.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpfiles/thread/664c5b59-515c-472e-a872-a41f3e0562c1

Please reply with the status of the issue, so that we could help you better.

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2020 Views 531 Applies to: