How to remove the need to enter login pin?

I see this has been asked before but is always answered with a question. Please can you tell me how to remove the need to enter my pin which is 1234?

Every day I get up and have to go to turn on my laptop twice (once to press On and once to enter pin). It is very annoying when I never even need to shut down my Mac. I need to shut down the Windows one every night as it won't stay asleep when I tell it to.

I am logged in with a Microsoft account and changed the password to a pin (1234) to make it easier. I don't need any security, so please don't ask me why. I just want to be able to press the button and it start up itself in the morning.

Why is this not an option? It is plain awkward in my opinion.  I am on Windows 10.

Win key plus x

Type netplwiz in run

Uncheck user needs to use password for your user account

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

49 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Do as Zig-Zag advises, then:

Go to Settings - Accounts - Sign-In Options

Choose Sign in with Local Account, you will have to enter your pin once

Leave the new password and confirmation boxes empty

Then log out and back in

Now you will not need to enter anything to get into your PC

I Hope this Helps!

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it doesn't change anything. I still have to enter the 1234 pin.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You cannot use the pin as a password. It is in addition to the password for quicker sign in. You still have to use the main password to get into your MS acct. and also to remove the sign in requirement in netplwiz. BTW it is not smart to post your pin online--and it's a very bad pin number. Hope your passwords are not so obvious. Edit your posts to remove it.

To leave the computer on 24/7 use Hibernation instead of Sleep. You use a brief press of the power button to wake it. Just be sure to shutdown once in a while for better performance.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I see this has been asked before but is always answered with a question. Please can you tell me how to remove the need to enter my pin which is 1234?

Every day I get up and have to go to turn on my laptop twice (once to press On and once to enter pin). It is very annoying when I never even need to shut down my Mac. I need to shut down the Windows one every night as it won't stay asleep when I tell it to.

I am logged in with a Microsoft account and changed the password to a pin (1234) to make it easier. I don't need any security, so please don't ask me why. I just want to be able to press the button and it start up itself in the morning.

Why is this not an option? It is plain awkward in my opinion.  I am on Windows 10.

Unfortunately, you can not configure a Microsoft Account to have a "null password" (meaning not have a password at all).  However, if you had been using a "local account" (rather than a Microsoft Account), you'd be able to configure it without a password.   That's how I have my mother's PC configured... she sees the login screen for a slit second and it automatically continues on to the desktop

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you may have found the best solution. I never knew about hibernate, apparently it is for PCs not laptops. I have now changed the sleep button to hibernate. If that keeps it off and quiet all night I will be delighted. I can always restart in the day if need be when sat at a desk.

:)

Thank you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I assume that would delete everything on my laptop? That's how it works on Macs which I am more used to. I will keep it in mind for the future though, thanks. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you can configure your pc to not require a password when logging on even with a Microsoft account.

use netplwiz as previously suggested

when it asks for a username and password, enter the full email address of your Microsoft account and the password (not the pin)

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, solved it by unticking at netplwiz. Then where Dave said, but just selecting Never under Require Sign In. With Hibernate set as Sleep button this makes startup nice and fast and no need to enter pin. Also works for restarting but that takes 10 times longer.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 35,435 Applies to: