How to reduce size of scanned image in Windows Scan app

I connected my Canon Lide 100 scanner to my Windows 8.1 PC, and Windows installed the driver automatically.  Then I opened the Windows Scan app which showed the device name and options for file type, colour mode and resolution.  I kept resolution at 300 dpi because that produced good results on my old PC, selected PDF as file type and used colour mode because I intended to scan a colour document.  I clicked on 'Preview' and 'Scan', and the app told me that the scan was saved.  However when I opened the file in Foxit Reader I was surprised to see that the document filled the width of the monitor screen at only 53% display, meaning that it was gigantically enlarged from A4.  The file size of 18MB confirmed this.

I selected greyscale mode and scanned the document again which produced a 6.4MB file, but it was just as enlarged.  Canon's own driver would produce a PDF file of about 500kB for such a document, in colour and at 300 dpi.  I cannot install that on my new PC because it is for 32-bit versions of Windows only.

Is there any way to reduce the size of a PDF to a reasonable level?     

Answer
Answer

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, you are facing an issue with reducing the size of a scanned PDF image in Windows Scan App.

This might be an issue with the compatibility of the drivers which is installed on your Windows 8.1 PC.

There are drivers of CanoScan LIDE 100 for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 8.1 operating systems,

I request you to download and install the drivers manually for your Windows 8.1 PC from the link below.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_lide100#DriversAndSoftware

You can also refer to this link below to know information about Scan app for Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/scan-app-faq

Hope this resolves your issue, if this issue persists feel free to reply us with the results to assist you better.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2024 Views 728 Applies to: