How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Nice article, but I'm confused about something...  Here I quote from the article: 

If you have access to another computer, to save time, you can copy the text in step five, and then create a text file called "Regcopy1.txt" (for example). To use this file, run the following command when you start in Recovery Console:

batch regcopy1.txt

With the batch command in Recovery Console, you can process all the commands in a text file sequentially. When you use the batch command, you do not have to manually type as many commands.

If I create a file called "Regcopy1.txt" on another computer, how do I access this file on the problem PC?  If I put it on a flash drive, I know of no way to get to that flash drive from within the recovery console.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2017 Views 3,638 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

IMHO, KB307545 is a very risky procedure.  Part 1 begins by restoring the original registry when Windows was first installed and then attempts to boot from it.  If you've installed the three service packs plus the uncountable updates that have occurred in the past decade, the chance that this old registry will boot your current system is marginal at best.  IMHO, KB307545 might have worked when XP was young, but is not to be trusted now.

The fastest and quickest way to recover a corrupted system registry is to create a free Hirens Boot disk by downloading a .iso file and using your computer burner's "Burn Image" feature to more-or-less instantly create a bootable CD filled with diagnostic programs -- including "Registry Restore Wizard" which will recover your system registry PDQ. -- None of the complicated steps of KB307545 required.  See one of my earlier posts:

< http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/when-i-start-up-up-the-computer-i-get-this-message/f7358220-2d30-4d02-899e-2c773f977d1e >

HTH,

JW

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.