How to prevent downloads of Windows Updates during active hours

My laptop spontaneously and without my permission downloaded a Windows Update while I was playing an online game. Needless to say, everyone was killed. I see how to prevent restarting during the hours specified as "active", but how to prevent it from doing downloads in the background and using all my bandwidth?
Hello. I'm Rey, a Community Expert willing to help the users.

Please check the below link to stop automatic updates in Windows 10:

https://www-windowscentral-com.cdn.ampproject.o...

Best Regards

This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as Notea PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Holly,

I don’t believe there is a great solution for this. I do have a work around however...

Click start, and type “services.msc” and open it up.

Find “Windows Update” and double click it. Windows Update Properties will open, and you can change it to “Disable” - click apply, and close out of services. If you put your PC to sleep, you’ll be fine. Once you reboot, the update service will restart.

Again, this isn’t perfect, but it you’re getting ready to battle, turning this off before hand will prevent your OS from sucking bandwidth for updates.

Hope this helps!
- C

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hit the Win key, type services, View local services, scroll down to Windows Update, double click on it,

In the middle change Startup type to Manual.  Click on OK.  Get out of Local services.

You need to go Settings, Updates, Check for updates every day when you are not busy where you can get the Windows Defender definitions and at the end of the day so you can get the updates.

-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2022 Views 231 Applies to: