How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.

Hello, first post here.

I use my laptop with the lid closed, connected to an external monitor. Is there a way to power up the PC while it is shut off or in hibernation mode without opening the laptop? I have the laptop on a dock so it would be preferred to keep it closed.

I have tried googling this, and saw some answers say I can change some setting in BIOS, but I am not seeing this in my version of BIOS.

I am using a ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14, with a Corsair K57 keyboard using wireless USB dongle.
Below are images of my BIOS and of my laptop dock.  I am unable to select and drill down into the "HID Keyboard" on the first screenshot of BIOS.

Thank you!

Hi and thanks for reaching out.,

My name is Katrina Green, I'm an Independent Advisor.

1 Change what closing the lid does by setting it to 'Do Nothing':

Hit the ⊞ Win key and type lid, or else go:
Control Panel → Hardware & Sound → Power Options → System Settings

2 Plug in an external mouse.

3 Go to Device Manager or hit ⊞ Win + X followed by M

4 Double-click the external USB pointing device.

5 On the Power Management tab, ensure that Allow device to wake computer is checked.

6 When you're finished using the built-in screen, cycle through projector options to enable monitor with: ⊞ Win + P

7 Don't use Shut Down when finished with the computer. Instead use one of:

Hibernate shortcut: ⊞ Win + X followed by U then H

Sleep or use ⊞ Win + X followed by U then S Now you can keep the screen lid closed but turn on and use the laptop with an external monitor. To meet your last 'requirement', you can change the settings to Sleep settings so the laptop goes to sleep after a set amount of idle time:

⊞ Win and then type: sleep + Enter

Control Panel → Screen → Power & Sleep Now you don't need to use the power button to turn it on or off.

https://superuser.com/questions/1261576/turn-on...
Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Hope this helps, Thank you.

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Katrina,

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but this method does not allow me to wake the computer from hibernation, only from sleep.  Am I missing something?

I would like to wake the computer from hibernation without having to open the laptop.

Thanks!

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chahn. I'm Greg, an Independent Advisor here to help until this is resolved.

I've tried for years to find a way to start a closed laptop which is Shut Down or Hibernating and there is no way. It requires an electrical connection via the Power Switch, so it's not anything that can be handled by Windows or the BIOS.

What I do is leave the lid open just enough to reach in to the power button. This is better for the laptop anyway because when it's closed it traps heat, so having it open even a small amount promotes circulation through the keyboard which is never entirely sealed off.

You could use only Sleep but this wears the RAM, better to hibernate which writes RAM to the hiberfile and shuts off power, then reloads the files when power button is pushed.

I hope this helps.

41 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This Greg.  Thanks for your response.  My laptop is stood vertically on a dock with an external fan behind it (last photo attached in OP).  As such, it is annoying to have to open the laptop, and leaving it open just a tad is not really an option if I wish to use the dock.

Are you (or anyone here) aware of Wake-on-LAN?  My computer is connected to Wifi and not ethernet, but I would like to use perhaps my iPhone to wake my computer from hibernation.. Is this something you can teach me to do?  I've tried googling this but couldn't get it done.

Thank you!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Greg, I have visited your links.

I would like to use my iPhone to wake my computer via wifi, as this is the only device I have available (without having to purchase something). I have the WOL iOS app that I tried, but it did not work (maybe I entered the incorrect addresses?)

Any detailed help is appreciated, I am making the transition from Mac to PC and I feel computer illiterate all over again :(.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2024 Views 116,068 Applies to: