How to mute the microphone with a keyboard shortcut?

Without using third party software, how can a microphone mute shortcut be setup to mute a microphone on and off.

I do see under record devices>properties for mic> levels> a mute button there that would work. how can I trigger that with a keyboard shortcut if I need to turn mute and unmute quickly on voip calls.   The button will work but I need to be able to access it without going into the properties for the mic each time.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had the same issue.  I found a workable solution.  Part of my job is interacting with live streaming video so I too needed something that was fast that didn't interfere too much with what I was doing.  It is not a keystroke, but it ended up being the best option for me.  Because I have a Dell laptop I have a Dell Audio app that I have pinned to the taskbar. When I click it, it takes me immediately to the microphone sound controls.  So, with two quick mouse clicks I can mute.  It is also a small window so it can easily pop up in front of what you are doing, and disappear again just as fast.  

Good luck!  

H

Thanks but as the first line of my question stated.  WITHOUT using any third party software.   I am in a managed environment and cannot install any software in order to achieve this. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Kurt,

We'd like to know if you're still having issue with your device.

Give us a nudge if you need more help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know it was an old post, but think I have your answer.

Found the simple answer you need here: https://elonblackman.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/how-to-mute-microphone-in-windows-7/

Not as good or convenient as the 98 and XP controls with mics on the mixer, but closer than writing macros and finding things that the help desk won't let you do.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know it was an old post, but think I have your answer.

Found the simple answer you need here: https://elonblackman.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/how-to-mute-microphone-in-windows-7/

Not as good or convenient as the 98 and XP controls with mics on the mixer, but closer than writing macros and finding things that the help desk won't let you do.

Yes that post exactly describes what I already stated in my original  question on how to manually do it the slow way.   My question how ever was, is there a way to setup a keyboard shortcut to quickly do it in case for example I am on a call and need to sneeze, or some other situation what I want it muted and quickly unmute it similar to the mute button for the speakers. 

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue on my work computer, but not on my personal. My personal laptop by lenovo has a mute mic button on the keyboard and it is fantastic. I would love to be able to replicate this functionality on other computers. It is definitely a built in function of windows as there is no extra lenovo software installed controlling it.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The solution I found today (after much Googling) was the installing of the devcon.exe which you can extract from the toolkit:

EnterpriseWDK_rs2_release_15063_20170317-1834.zip

Make sure you use the correct version 32 or 64 bit.  It's in the directory "\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\tools\x64" in the zip file.

I copied it to my Windows\system32 directory.

Use Devcon to find the HardwareID of the microphone.

I then wrote a quick batch file to toggle the microphone on and off.  Has to be run as admin though.

@echo off
cls
devcon status  @SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{6355EED0-821D-4586-82E0-3C583C11A927} >%temp%\mic.txt
cls
find "running" %temp%\mic.txt >nul
if %errorlevel% equ 1 goto enable
goto disable

:disable
devcon disable  @SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{6355EED0-821D-4586-82E0-3C583C11A927}
exit

:enable
devcon enable  @SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{6355EED0-821D-4586-82E0-3C583C11A927}
exit

Of course the "@SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{6355EED0-821D-4586-82E0-3C583C11A927}" is what I found for my mic using the command "devcon hwids * > hwids.txt" and looking in the hwids.txt file.  

The only slight downside is that it has to be run as administrator (pop up window) but using a shortcut it is possible to run that on a keystroke.  I have an older Microsoft keyboard with user-definable "fav" keys - so I just added the shortcut url to the key.  It does work!  The mic is enabled and disabled using this approach.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 426,629 Applies to: