How to move windows 10 to new larger SSD

I'm getting a larger SSD for my wife's laptop. How do I transfer Windows 10, the applications and data to the new drive?

Thanks

hello i am a community user like you

i prefer to clean install not to do ssd copying

however you can do that but it will decrease the performance

here is the tutorial

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstall-5837543

disclaimer-this is link to 3rd party software be cautious to use it

and remember to always do a backup

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello how are you? I`m Marcelo de C., an independent Advisor. It is a pleasure to help you today. I know how frustrating it can be for you, but I will do my best to help you :)

Since you want to put everything on ssd there are 2 ways you can do one of them is to download windows 10 from microsoft website and install the system from scratch (don't forget to check if you enable the hardware change function and checking if the account is connected with windows.), the sefunda option is to clone the entire hd, this would make it pass the windows, applications and files without having to reinstall everything again.

1 option (to do a clean install)
Site with windows 10 iso:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
You will need a flesh drive or cd to install.

2 option (cone hd)
Site to download the program:
https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/copy-and-...

on this site also has the tutorial with image and videos to facilitate the process.

after downloading:

Step 1. Start EaseUS Todo Backup and choose "Clone".
Step 2. Choose the source disk you will clone. Here, choose HD. Click "Next".
Step 3. Choose destination disk. Here, choose the SSD. To greatly improve the performance of the SSD after cloning, make one more selection.

Under "Advanced Options", check the option "Optimize for SSD". Click "OK". Then click "Next".
Step 4. View a disk layout and click "Next". It usually takes a while for software to clone a hard drive to an SSD, depending on the size of the source drive.
note:

If the computer doesn't boot from the destination disk after cloning, we suggest you clone the source disk to another disk with the same hd interface. If you choose to clone a hidden partition, the cloned partition will not be hidden.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

I hope the information above helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Have a nice day and stay safe.

Marcelo de C.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks fellas,

That should do the job. Just need the new drive to arrive now.

Cheers

Ken

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the help. The new SSD arrived, and the old drive was successfully cloned and is now running.

I used the Macrium Reflect software recommended by LifeHacker. It doesn't automatically resize partitions for the larger drive but was easy enough to do manually. It cloned a 1TB M.2 to a 2TB M.2 connected by USB in about 1.5 hours.

I didn't use the EaseUs software because it requires credit card details to access a trial version, something I wasn't prepared to do for a one-off use.

The new drive is a WD M.2 SSD so I first tried the WD Acronis True Image software that they recommended. However, it couldn't seem to cope with an external USB adaptor. So, I wouldn't recommend Acronis True Image.

Cheers

Ken

58 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 83,129 Applies to: