How to move Swapfile.sys ??

Hello,

I have two questions..

I have following HDD Configuration in order as listed below (as detected by bios)

• 500 GB SATA
  • 1 TB SATA
  • 32GB SSD
  • 1 TB SATA

Windows 7 is installed separately (while all discs are physically disconnected) in second HDD, which is 1 TB SATA.

Windows 8.1 is installed in 32 GB SSD, while all the HDDs are connected.

I find, Windows 7 boot loader is is present in first partition of the 1 TB HDD, thus when asking the system to boot from that drive, it goes on to boot without asking me any OS choice. But when asking the system to boot from 32 GB SSD, it through up missing boot loader error and fails to boot. I see the boot loader of Windows 8.1 (32 GB SSD) is placed on the first partition of 500 GB SATA.. So Windows 8.1 only boots if the system is asked to boot from 500 GB drive..

Now here are my two questions,

1. Being in a 32 GB SSD, space counts for me, so I need to know how do I move the swapfile (256 MB) of Windows 8.1 from this 32 GB drive to any other partition ??

2. I read in this thread, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-can-i-move-hiberfilsys/83ee0934-238d-4d8a-89b1-801a73d45ea8 that one cant move hibernation file since it has to be present in a partition which has the boot loader.. Now as I see, my Windows 8.1 boot loader is written in first partition of 500 GB SATA, is it possible to move my hibernation file there ??

Thanks..

Answer
Answer

Hi Saurav,

It is not recommended to relocate the page file to a different location as it can affect the performance of the computer.

It is also best to have the swap file in the same location where Windows is installed.

Additional Information.

How to move new Windows 8 file swapfile.sys to another drive?: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/3366b946-602c-45da-8303-8c6da17c3415/how-to-move-new-windows-8-file-swapfilesys-to-another-drive?forum=w8itproinstall

If you need any further assistance with Windows Operating System, please post your query on Microsoft Community Forums and we’ll be glad to assist you with it.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2024 Views 3,770 Applies to: