How to make the Microsoft Pinyin really default to Chinese?!

The problem is very annoying.

Whenever when I try to switch the input method to Chinese from English, the keyboard mode for Microsoft Pinyin will always default to English regardless of the default mode setting I made, i.e. from

"setting->Time & Language -> Region & language -> Click input method-> Options -> Click method under keyboards -> Options -> Mode switching -> Choose IME default mode -> Chinese"

So every time after I press Ctrl+Shift to change input method, I will still need to click Shift again to change it to Chinese!

I think there might be complex logic under it that Microsoft thought it helps, but can I just asking for a solution that make the input method simply always default to Chinese input? For example if any registry settings for this?

Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

In order to resolve this issue follow these steps:

1.In the Cortana box type ‘Region’.
2.Click on ‘Region and Language Settings’.
3.Click on ‘Add a Language’.
4.From the list of languages select Chinese Simplified.
5.Select Chinese (Simplified, China).
6.Click on Language pack available.
7.Click on Options button.
8.Wait for Download to complete.
9.Under Keyboards click on Add a keyboard
10.Click on Microsoft Pinyin Input method editor and choose the language editor of your choice.

Please check the above and let us know.

Thank you.
Pavan N

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Pavan,

Thanks for your reply.

But my question is not about how to get Pinyin input method in windows 10. My question is about how to really make Chinese the default keyboard mode for that input method.

I have the input method installed, but the "Choose IME default mode" under "Mode Switching" for "Microsoft Pinyin" just doesn't work. Every time when I switch the input method, it is always default to English, which means I have to click Shift again and wait for about a half second before I can start typing. That is annoying.

I click Ctrl+Shift to do the switch, and when I do that, it really just only means I want Chinese character input. Why not just always make it default to Chinese?

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this query.

If you want the Pinyin keyboard language input, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if your issue is resolved.

1. Click on the Keyboard icon located on the bottom right corner of the screen next to the Date & Time display.
  2. Click on the Language preferences option on the window.
  3. Select Add a language under Language option and select Chinese (Simplified, China) from the window.
  4. After adding, close the settings page and click on the Keyboard icon from the taskbar. Check if the language is added on to the keyboard settings.
  5. Click on the Pinyin language from the options and check if the changes are effective.

If you want the complete OS in Chinese language, I suggest you to install language pack and check if the issue is resolved.

Refer to the link below on Language Packs

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/language-packs#lptabs=win10

Also refer to the section Which languages will Windows 10 be available in? from the link below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

Hope this helps!

We are happy to assist you with any issues pertaining to Windows.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think they understand your question before answering it. They seem to just copy-paste some irrelevant things.

I think the problem is that, when you switch to Pinyin, it will detect where your I-beam pointer is. If it's in an English textbox, it will automatically switch you English.

For example, when I switch to Pinyin in address bar of Explorer or Google Chrome, Pinyin will be in English. When I switch in notepad etc., Pinyin will be in Chinese.

I can't find anywhere to disable the auto detection. And I think it's a stupid design. Because when the user hit Win+Space, he must want to input chinese. It makes no sense to do the "smart" thing.

88 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think you have ever spent more than two seconds to read about what Pavan_N is talking about. This kind of answered me why for more than a decade the same bugs with Mircosoft Pinyin Input Method never get fixed.

At first, I thought that's because Chinese users not very good at English, so software engineers at Mircosoft didn't get the feedbacks. Apparently, the true reason is you don't even care AT ALL, for more than a decade.

Pavan_N is asking you about setting detail of MS pinyin, and you just copy and paste some **** about how to install MS pinyin.

I am so disappointed in you and your company.

57 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think you have ever spent more than two seconds to read about what Pavan_N is talking about. This kind of answered me why for more than a decade the same bugs with Mircosoft Pinyin Input Method never get fixed.

At first, I thought that's because Chinese users not very good at English, so software engineers at Mircosoft didn't get the feedbacks. Apparently, the true reason is you don't even care AT ALL, for more than a decade.

Pavan_N is asking you about setting detail of MS pinyin, and you just copy and paste some **** about how to install MS pinyin.

I am so disappointed in you and your company.

The following configuration setting works for me getting a sticky ENG/CHINESE mode for Microsoft Pinyin input.

I added a Pinyin keyboard (may be it already was a default, if not, it is in Languages Options Add keyboard area).

Switch from ENG keyboard to Microsoft Pinyin keyboard, click the keyboard icon (which is labelled Touch Keyboard in the hoover balloon) (on the task bar); a virtual keyboard pops up, next to the space bar, there is an ENG/CHINESE toggle switch. Toggle it to your preference. It seems to stick and survived switching from ENG keyboard to Pinyin keyboard back and forth.

By the way, this stickiness only applies within a particular application, e.g. notepad++, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.  If you are switching language in the desktop, or inside a Google Search bar, etc., the default language becomes random, or elastic back to ENG even if you tell it CHINESE is default.

The observation is, Pinyin keyboard behaves nicely in certain applications (Word, Excel) but it has a mind of its own in other applications.

Hope it helps.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue with win 10 only, other windows work fine with default to Chinese mode instead of English input mode, that's why I fall back to win 8 twice in the last year... and was hoping the updated windows 10 will fix this issue...

but no the problem is still here...

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I keeps having this issue for a long time after switched to windows 10. It's so easy to fix and they just don't do that. Really don't know what's wrong about their QA team and ticketing system.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is Dec 2017 now and this issue still remains.

great.

I just want PinYin method only inputs Chinese but it just keeps switching to English mode all the time when it is on file explorer (or any English interfaces).

super super super super super annoying!! 

64 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 6,604 Applies to: